Concerns with exporting for long periods of time.

Reaction score
I'm currently exporting and compressing quicktime file of my 80 minute movie from an imac. From the looks of it, it shall be 10 hours process. My biggest concern is: Should the screensaver and the energysaver be turned off or on?

The new imacs tend to really heat up and I'm concerned with such a long duration of exporting, the mac may damage itself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
May I ask about the order of events as you outline them, ie. are you compressing the movie BEFORE exporting, or afterwards? Ten hours for an 80-minute movie is an awfully long time.

Re your question: if you're going to leave your iMac going for ten hours, it should not be a bother for it unless the machine is in a very hot room. Check the operating temp tolerances in the iMac specs. Remember, some iMacs are never switched off (unless it's for maintenance, but that's usually in an air-conditioned room).

If you're not comfortable with that, point a small desk fan in the direction of the air intake (at the base of the iMac body) while you're doing the movie task.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm
It's always a good idea to give us your components' temperatures for topics like these.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
I left a render in Carrara Pro running from 9:30 last night until I got home at 1:30 this afternoon and my iMac did not overheat, so I don't think a long export will cause any damage. If I am going to have a long render and will be away from the computer for a while, I just put the screen to sleep and let it do it's thing. I don't use any of the energy saver stuff like having the computer hibernate after a certain amount of time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.