Iomega Zip Drive 100 on new iMac--possible

Reaction score
I found some old (duh) Zip 100s. Even if I found a cheap drive, would I be able to get it to run on my iMac, running OS X 10.6.3?

What do you think?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
The Zip drive will work just fine with the iMac. I use my old USB Zip250 with mine from time to time. There are no Iomega drivers for it, so it will only work as a removable drive...you will not have IomegaWare so you will not be able to lock a disk or anything like that. OS X will just treat it like a thumb drive when you insert a disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Another 'yes'. I add though that it's a USB Iomega, not the SCSI model, which wouldn't work via a USB adaptor. I did have a bit of bother getting Tiger to recognise the Io USB though. Panther mounts it as a USB device without blinking.

Reaction score
I am trying to get a 250 zip drive work with my 3 year old iMac OSX 10.5.8. The zip drive has an Iomega FireWire adapter attached to the bak... when I attach to a firewire cable to the iMac... it just whirs and spits out the zip disc. I have all these old zips and want to see what's on them!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am trying to get a 250 zip drive work with my 3 year old iMac OSX 10.5.8. The zip drive has an Iomega FireWire adapter attached to the bak... when I attach to a firewire cable to the iMac... it just whirs and spits out the zip disc. I have all these old zips and want to see what's on them!

I'm going to guess that the adapter you speak of converts from SCSI to Firewire and that's the hang-up. I would shop around for a used USB model.

Reaction score
It's actually all 3. I took off the adapter and tried the USB port... but that doesn't transmit the power... so I hooked up the power adapter and it still did the same thing... keeps running and spits out the cartridge.

The funny thing is, the first time I tried it, it was quiet for a few moments and then acted up and spit it out.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's actually all 3. I took off the adapter and tried the USB port... but that doesn't transmit the power... so I hooked up the power adapter and it still did the same thing... keeps running and spits out the cartridge.

The funny thing is, the first time I tried it, it was quiet for a few moments and then acted up and spit it out.

Are you certain the discs are in good working order? Magnetic media tends to degrade over time. So, if it's been a long time, you may be dealing with unreadable media.

Reaction score
I tried a few.... besides the drive starts running loud before I even put the cartridge in... maybe it's no good.... as I recall they were always a pain to use years ago.... finnicky

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried a few.... besides the drive starts running loud before I even put the cartridge in... maybe it's no good.... as I recall they were always a pain to use years ago.... finnicky

I remember them having a "click of death" issue. And if I remember correctly, drives with that issue would destroy cartridges too. Hope that's not the case with yours.

Reaction score
i know someone with an older computer with an internal zip... maybe i'll try theirs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.