2006 mbp 15" to 2010 mbp 13" : upgrade/downgrade/is it worth it?

Reaction score
My 2006 15" (purchased Aug. 2008): 2ghz core duo, 667 mhz, 512 mb ram, about 27gb available on hard drive. I looked this up on my laptop, and I think I scoped out what's important...

Anyway, my laptop has served me well for the past 4 years, but maybe it's time for an upgrade. It's certainly not as fast as it used to be, and applications (MS Word and Photoshop are used most often) take awhile to open and might be glitchy/sluggish every now and then. I get 20-30 min max on a battery charge if I'm lucky, though usually it'll only last 10-15 min unplugged. The battery also gets unbearably hot if I'm on the web (is this still a problem with the new models?). Also, this thing is heavy, and I dread having to take it anywhere with me. It would be fine if I were completely settled somewhere so that I could just use the laptop as a desktop of sorts, but I'll be leaving for Paris this September for about a year, and then, hopefully, will be continuing my studies the following fall, which would be another three or so years of transit.

I do really love this laptop though, and it's still goin'...albeit a bit slower than is convenient. I really like the anti-glare screen on mine, and wish the 13" had that option as well. One of my bigger concerns about the 13" is how well it can handle photoshop, and how the resolution of the 13" would compare to my old 15". If money and weight weren't an issue, sure, I'd go for the 15", but thinking about carrying that brick around makes me want to cry - especially going through airports with a year's worth of luggage. I've read reviews on 13 vs. 15, on whether or not having a core i3 would be beneficial for the 13", etc. - but nothing has really helped me make a concrete decision - more confusion, if anything!

So any words of wisdom on this? Should I get the 13" (most likely in August)? Just suck it up, get a new battery, deal with the weight, and wait until I get back from France to take advantage of any upgrades next year? I do use photoshop quite frequently, so will I be dissatisfied with a 13" size/res (I'm not a gamer, nor do I do any video editing or anything like that)?

(I've also considered getting a netbook...but no, that's not going to happen.)

Appreciate any help!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just my humble opinion:

- buy a new battery!

- a 2006 15" MacBook Pro is absolutely NOT a BRICK!!! It weighs 5.6 pounds...EXACTLY the same as a current 2010 15" MacBook Pro. Back in the 1990's a 12" display laptop generally weighed in the 7+ pound range...that's closer to a brick!

- you said that you like the matte/anti-glare display on your MacBook Pro. With the current laptops...you do have a choice of a matte or glossy display (matte/anti-glare display costs $150 more)...but...this option is ONLY available on the 15" & 17" models. So if you want a 13"...you're stuck with a glossy display.

- A new 13" MacBook/MacBook Pro is going to cost around $1000...compared to a new Apple battery for $129.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.