Trying to download new software 4.0 upgrade -- backup isn't working

Reaction score
I'm trying to download the new upgrade for my iPod touch, but it just doesn't seem to be working. It downloads easily, but when it starts the backing up process, it takes forever. And I'm not just talking about 2 hours. I checked the backup status after each hour, but it had not progressed any further than the B in "Backing up..." Is this normal? Do I need to let it sit for a whole day or is there something that I'm missing. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
If you have access to both a Mac and a PC, try doing the update on the other machine. You can update with any machine, not just the one that your iPod syncs to. Sometimes it works on one when the other is being finicky.

OP
S
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I just have a PC. I'm not sure why it's doing that though but thanks for your suggestion!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just talked to a friend on Facebook and his Wife's iPhone 3G took 3+ hours for the backup alone not to mention restore of your data.

OP
S
Reaction score
Oh ok it was probably close to 3 hours when I canceled it and it hadn't made it past the B in "Backing." Do you know if hers started out that way and then at a certain point, the bar went across faster? If that makes sense. :Lips-Are-Sealed:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Here's an idea. Sync with iTunes. This should backup the phone.

Follow the directions on this site. Essentially, you'll download the update to your HD, and then update the phone from the backup on your HD instead of downloading and installing in a single step. It should let you skip the backup process. Once the update is complete, a sync w/ iTunes should restore everything.

iOS 4.0 direct download link for iPod 3G, 2G, iPhone 3G, 3G S ipsw offline installer, manually install iOS 4.0 ipsw

'Update' backs up your ipod, upgrades the OS, and then restores everything from the backup.

'Restore' assumes something is wrong with your ipod, so it skips the backup, updates the OS, and then restores everything from the last good backup you have. Since you sync'd right before the restore, you'll have a good backup of your ipod's more recent state.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.