install disk cross compatibility / hardware check software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Dear Forum, I have a macbook (intel dual core, white one, not pro) and no install disks.
I borrowed install disks from a friend with a macbook pro. The first one was snow leopard (they bought their machine just as sl was launched and was sent a snow leopard DVD in addition to the leopard that was preinstalled).

I successfully installed snow leopard (from the mb-pro DVD) onto my regular mac book without any problems and it runs fine.

Then, I attempted to run the software installer (the second DVD containing iLife). This DVD was also shipped with the mb-pro and I was attempting to install it on the regular white mb. This install aborted as soon as the hardware checker determined "this software will not run on this computer"

Next, I copied the already installed iLife programmes from the mb-pro (garage band, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD) and put them onto the regular macbook. They all fire up ok but all are missing components that an error message tells me can be installed by running the software install DVD.

From this I deduce the 'hardware checking' software that the software install disk runs, checks that the DVD is being used on the same class of machine it was shipped with. As I have snow leopard installed and as iLife is the same whether it is on a macbook pro or regular macbook, I assume this check is an anti piracy measure.

My question is, can any one advise how to bypass the 'hardware check' step and install iLife from a mbPro onto a regular macbook. I own several macs and have always found this incompatibility a problem as I do regular reinstalls and find the disks have a short life.

Thanks for any suggestions

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can bypass the hardware check by using legal software in lieu of pirating software.
You've already successfully pirated Snow Leopard instead of purchasing a legal $30 copy and now you want us to help you pirate iLife? Don't think so.

Discussion of illegal activity is prohibited by our Forum Rules.

Respect copyrights and the law.
Don’t discuss or conduct content theft or any other illegal activity. Period. We follow U.S. law on the forums, so just because something might be legal in your country doesn’t mean it will be allowed here. If you’re ever in doubt, contact one of the moderators before you post.

Any discussion of a work around enabling you to use pirated software will not be allowed on this forum.

If you have lost, misplaced or damaged the original discs that came with your machine, you can get a replacement set by calling Apple. We have seen prices including free up to $20-$30 from our members for these. You want a newer version of iLife than what shipped on that particular Mac, go buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.