Problem after replacing Logicboard on Macbook

Reaction score
I changed the 820-2279A logicboard on my Macbook A1181. Now it will not restart to the hard drive (flashing question mark) but it will boot to a black osX disc. However, I then get the message "Mac OSX cannot be installed on this computer". I tried reformatting the hard drive via the Disc Utilites on the disc but it doesn't make any difference. I have also reset the PRAM and SMU and now I am flat out of ideas.

Anyone have any suggestions? Are there any resets that need to be done when a logicboard is replaced?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sure looks like you've done everything you need to do to get it up and running. The only question I have - Is the logic board you installed the same exact one as the one you removed? Not a substitute, but an exact replacement? The reason I ask is if there is any difference in the firmware between the logic boards, it may not work.

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
The replacement has the same model number etched on the board "829-2279 A" as the original one and it certainly looks identical but, other than that, I don't know how to tell if it really is the correct one. The fact that it will boot to the CD and will run Disc Utilities is somewhat encouraging but I just can't get it to take the OSX installation.

Reaction score
Apparently the motherboard just isn't identical, if you could try with retail OS X disc and even that fails then you have real problem. It is normal that you cannot install OS X to another computer with those discs that came with another machine, if the model differs.

OP
C
Reaction score
I am using the retail OSX installation disc (the black one) not the grey one. The Disc Utilities log says "Folder Manager is being asked to create a folder (cach) while running as uid 0:"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.