MacBook Pro - SSD Boot Time and Performance

LDJ

Reaction score
Hey guys, I don't know all that much about Solid State Drives, (will reference as SSD) but I've heard that read speeds are far faster than HDDs. (although write speeds are not that great?)

I was wondering, if I do decided to spend the extra AUD$240 to get a 128GB SSD in my new MacBook Pro im buying soon, will things like boot time and reading from the drive be faster than say if I used a 500GB HDD @ 7200rpm?
Also, what is the expected life for a 128GB SSD for someone who listens to a fair amount of music daily, watches a decent amount of videos, and does some light photo editing (Photoshop)?

Thank you so much guys,

Liam.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
My opinion is that for your uses, a SSD is not worth the extra money (unless you have a row of money trees out back). Music won't play faster, video won't play faster, and light photoshop is not going to tax a 7200rpm HDD. Sure you might get faster OS startup and apps will open a tiny bit faster, but is going from a 20 second boot time to 15 seconds worth the cash? OSX already starts up really, really fast.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I totally agree with RONE on this. 500GB is a lot of storage space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.