powerbook case options

I

iluvthsgam

few things. just got the new powerbook and now i need to make sure i dont ruin my investment. After reading up on the rubber keyboard covers, i decided to just get one to see if i like it - they are cheap enough. Also wanted to get one of those fabric cloths you put between screen and keyboard when closing lid. But if i had the rubber keyboard protectector AND then the cloth ontop of that - would that be asking for trouble with heat issues when the lid is closed ?

also, anyone had any experience with this lcd cover ? Its cheap enough but how much impact on screen quality do you think it would have?

lastly, i need a good carrying case - preferably a messanger style bag. any suggestions ?

OP
I

iluvthsgam

also, the point of the keyboard cover is to keep stuff out from under the keyboard, but then all the crap goes on the keyboard cover, so unless im washing it EVERY time before i close the lid, i still wanted the cloth protector ontop of that to keep the crap on the keyboard cover off my screen....make sense ? any help is appreciated!

OP
S

speedydave

I don't think you really need to go quite that far to protect every part of the PB. I'm pretty over-protective of most of my stuff (my camera gear, iPod, new PB, etc), but all I've got for my PB is one of the iKlear cloth keyboard covers to keep crap from the keyboard off of my screen. I don't even use the trackpad cover, since it's recessed anyway, so it stays away from the screen. I actually use the trackpad cover to clean fingerprints and smudges off of my iPod. I have something like that LCD cover on my Palm, but mainly because almost the whole interface is through the touch screen, and I didn't want it to get scratched. If you apply it right, it won't really affect the quality of your display, but it's pretty hard to get the whole thing down on the small Palm screen without air bubbles, so I'd imagine it would be even harder to do it on the PB. You may have different results or feelings about it, but that's my take. :p

As for bags, I'm still looking for something for myself, most likely just a sleeve to go inside my backpack (which I may get a new one, too), since I don't like most of the laptop backpacks out right now. I seriously considered a messenger-style bag for a while, and when I did, I was looking hard at some of the Crumpler ( www.crumplerbags.com ) bags. I've got one of their backpacks for my camera gear and love it, which is why I looked back at their bags for my laptop.

Hope that helped.

OP
B

BrianH

Just dont ever close your PB because you are so addicted you will never leave it......

Reaction score
Be sure to run a search on this type of stuff guys before starting a new thread, there was just a post a couple weeks ago about this, so I just copied my previous post from it here; anyway, hope this information helps you out, this is my experience. I'd go with the Booq cases and sleeves. They offer a huge variety of cases and sleeves. Good luck.

Both of these are Booq products: I have found them to be very good quality. Some people think they may be overpriced, but I think they are very good quality, so when it comes to something so valueable, spend the extra cash. Don't settle for something cheaper after spending $2000+ on a laptop. Good luck!

I have the Powersleeve15 for my PB 15".
nbq-p-016.jpg

My brother has the Vyper sleeve for his 17".
booq_vyper_xs_glove_apple_laptop_bag.gif

I elected not to go with the Booq systems [backpack included] simply because I didn't want that. My Powersleeve or Vyper however, fits fine in my Marmot and North Face backpacks.

I notice some discussion above about a hard sleeve. These are not "hard" as in you cannot bend them, but I do not see that necessary as I handle this with extreme caution at all times. So it is never thrown or mishandled ever. But these Booq sleeves do the job perfectly. Protects it great when traveling. Most times, I do not put the Powersleeve or Vyper inside of another backpack anyway. I usually carry it seperately. The Powersleeve comes with a detachable comfortable, sturdy shoulder strap. The Vyper on the other hand would make more sense inside another bag being that it has no strap or handle. So, in essence, Booq makes a variety of sleeves to fit your needs. Good luck!

Reaction score
iluvthsgam said:
few things. just got the new powerbook and now i need to make sure i dont ruin my investment. After reading up on the rubber keyboard covers, i decided to just get one to see if i like it - they are cheap enough. Also wanted to get one of those fabric cloths you put between screen and keyboard when closing lid. But if i had the rubber keyboard protectector AND then the cloth ontop of that - would that be asking for trouble with heat issues when the lid is closed ?

also, anyone had any experience with this lcd cover ? Its cheap enough but how much impact on screen quality do you think it would have?

lastly, i need a good carrying case - preferably a messanger style bag. any suggestions ?

Don't know if you're referring to the MacAlly LCD protectors. I'd say stay way from those. I bought a pack (comes in 3's) and that screen looks cheapy. They look like those transparent plastic report covers. As the reviews stated, you see undulations in the screen, and the sticky edge is a terrible idea... Even if the whole thing were static cling, imagine a particle stuck between the protector and the screen... I'd say just be careful...

:blind:

OP
P

PaRaGoNViCtiM

I use the RadTech ScreenSavR for my 15' PB and I love it. I also use the Red Crumpler School Hymn to protect my PB while its in my messenger bag. (I use a Padded Messenger bag) So far, all this is working perfectly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.