Weird system behavior (is it RAM or Safari)

Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I recently upgraded my iMac to 8GB RAM from 4GB. I bought the extra 2gb x 2 DIMMs from here - 4GB 2X 2GB RAM MEMORY FOR APPLE IMAC I5 I7 27" 2009 NEW - eBay (item 390186074813 end time Jul-20-10 13:41:26 PDT)

Since after the upgrade, i have reinstalled my machine. Now after some hours of usage my Safari crashes and simply refuses to start again. A reboot of the machine, however fixes this problem. So safari is the starting point, after it begins to crash, pretty much nothing starts up, till i reboot my machine.

I have performed AHT and there is no error reported. I even tested the memory for almost 24 hours using memtest86+ and no errors were reported. Can someone help me understand whats causing this?

Regards,
Titan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The first thing I would do is to reconfigure your iMac to the way it was before installing the new memory modules. Let's see if that cures the crashing. Also, I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by "I have reinstalled my machine". Did you reinstall Snow Leopard? Clarify exactly what it is you did after installing the new memory.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.