External speakers not working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro ... Macbook Pro
Hi, gang!

I had to wipe my startup disk, forcing me to reinstall all my apps, preferences, external devices, etc. Not fun. :Angry-Tongue:

Now, my Mac Pro isn't seeing my several-years-old Altec Lansing 4100 multimedia speakers, which were working perfectly fine before (for music, etc.). Altec Lansing says no drivers needed.

So what's the problem? Under System Preferences > Sounds, it should see the device, right? But it's not.

thanks!
jd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Which OS version are you using? In Tiger (from memory), external speakers should show up as connected to the Output > Headphone. That has to be selected.

How are the speakers connected? Via an external amplifier, or are you relying on the Pro to power the audio output?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro ... Macbook Pro
Prob fixed

Good questions all, but I'm happy to report that the external speakers started working again on their own, 4 days after they went dead with the disc wipe. What changes did I make? Nothing at all. Odd. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.