MacBook pro wont find PC with win7

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 4s, Ipod Touch 32GB, 1st Gen IPad 64GB and 15"Macbook Pro 2.53GHz w/ 4GB RAM
MacBook pro wont find PC with win7. it does connect to the home network but it wont see the PC or vice versa. does anybody knows how to fix this problem?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
To be honest...I have no idea what you're talking about!:(

What do you mean..."MacBook pro wont find PC with win7."

I have an idea what you mean...but I would rather not guess.:)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 4s, Ipod Touch 32GB, 1st Gen IPad 64GB and 15"Macbook Pro 2.53GHz w/ 4GB RAM
Network

Ok, let me explain: I'm having problems with my home network. the PC running WIN7 cant find my Macbook is not shown anywhere in the network. Same story with the Mac, i keep trying to find the PC but is nowhere to be found either. i got the PC setup to share files and to be honest this is my first mac and i'm a little hesitant on what the next step to take but if the two machines are in the same network shouldn't they see each other and share files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g
It may have to do with the workgroup names. I think win7 uses a different default workgroup name than XP did. Under network preferences on your mac, you can set the work group name that you want to be part of. Sorry I don't have the exact steps for you to take, but I think that might get you in the right direction. I don't have a win7 computer in my house yet to test this on, but my daughter will soon..(won't switch to mac just yet..) and I will use hers as a test pc.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well let me try that.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i got the PC setup to share files and to be honest this is my first mac and i'm a little hesitant on what the next step to take but if the two machines are in the same network shouldn't they see each other and share files?

This is what I thought you meant in your original post...it just wasn't totally clear the way it was worded (or maybe my brain is a little "thick" tonight)!

Personally I find the Mac very easy to network...it's the Windows computers that are difficult. But then since you're more familiar with Windows...you probably feel the exact opposite.

Together we make one "knowledgeable & balanced" computer person!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.