MBP A1150 logic board issues - out of warranty

Reaction score
I have a MBP that I bought around 2006. It has been freezing for a while now and apple said that was because I had too many programs running at once. That's weird I thought this is a MBP. The other issue was the screen display wigging out with parts of it looking distorted. Or small independent pixels randomly spaced not following the rest of the screens image. They look all multi colored. Was there ever something released from apple saying this was an issue on their part? I had the whining noise as well so was/could this be related? As of last night my mbp completely crapped out. Everytime I start it up I get the chime then a white screen with the rotating gear and a progress bar at the bottom that barely starts but stops. Then the bar disappears but the white screen and rotating gear stay there forever. Help! I really dont want to have to pay to fix this if it's a known apple problem that they've remedied

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Regarding the startup issues:

- how full is your hard drive?
- have you tried starting/booting the computer with the disks that came with the computer?

If you try to start/boot the computer from the disks that came with it...remember to hold down the "C" key on startup.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
my hdtv is almost empty. I have an external that i pretty much keep everything on. i`ll try the startup from the disk today and post what happens.

OP
F
Reaction score
Sorry by hdtv I meant hard drive. I was posting from my wii and it likes to add things at the end of words. My mbp let me boot from the cd rom so since I have time machine I opted to restore. But then 6.4% in the **** thing froze.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My mbp let me boot from the cd rom so since I have time machine I opted to restore. But then 6.4% in the **** thing froze.

Well restoring from Time Machine really wasn't one of the options I suggested. Hopefully the only 6.4% restore from Time Machine hasn't caused bigger headaches than you already had!:(

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
true it wasn`t was it? My bad. well i re tried the time machine restore and it said it successfuly resored it to the date i chose. restarted it and its doing the same thing but no progress bar at the bottom just the white screen with the apple logo and the rotating gear. how can it restore the harddrive but not boot from it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how can it restore the harddrive but not boot from it?

When you did the time machine restore did you boot the computer from the CD/DVD?

If so...this could mean that the hard drive is bad...mechanically. If you can boot from the CD/DVD...but can't from the hard drive...then that may point to a failed hard drive.

One other thing you could try...(since you just did a restore from Time Machine)...

- boot from your OS install DVD
- go to the menus at the top when you get the DVD welcome screen
- open disk utility
- reformat/erase the hard drive
- reinstall the OS
- eject the DVD & try booting from the hard drive

Let us know how things turn out,

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
after the restore from time machine my computer took two times to rebbot. at first i got that white screen of ceath bht after the 2nd time, even though it took a while, it finally booted. the screen still acts crazy at times though. things get all stretched out and there are lines of funky pixels on the screen. i love my mbp, but tnis is really ticking me off!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
after the restore from time machine my computer took two times to rebbot. at first i got that white screen of ceath bht after the 2nd time, even though it took a while, it finally booted. the screen still acts crazy at times though. things get all stretched out and there are lines of funky pixels on the screen. i love my mbp, but tnis is really ticking me off!

Yeah...with all of the suggestions I made above, I was trying to identify something wrong with the easy & inexpensive stuff first (reinstall the OS, reformat the hard drive, etc.).

Those unusual video troubles you're experiencing (stretching, video acting "crazy", funky pixels)...don't sound good.

Just so we are 100% aware of everything...was this laptop ever dropped or any liquids spilled on it?

If you have a digital camera, maybe you could take some photos of the laptops display when the video problems occur...and post them so we can see what you're seeing.

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
I have actually reinstalled the OS as well as formatted the hard drive and the problem still persists. I thought macs were not supposed to freeze... ever. Mine has gotten to the point that I have no idea when it is going to happen so I avoid doing major things on it. When I get a funky display thing pop up, i'll be sure to take a pic of it and post it here.

OP
F
Reaction score
And as far as spilling anything on my mac... that has never happened. I baby this thing and it looks like the day I bought it. Just doesn't act like it :\

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought macs were not supposed to freeze... ever.

Possibly true...but then this only applies to a 100% operational Mac. If your Mac is having a hardware failure issue of some sort...then different rules apply.:(

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Here are some pics...

IMG00073-20100627-1908.jpg

IMG00072-20100627-1855.jpg

IMG00071-20100627-1851.jpg

IMG00069-20100627-1848.jpg

I have now seen lots of people having this same issue due to a damaged GPU ATI X1600. Is that the card that is in my A1150? Is there anything I can do to get it fixed for free? Like I said I baby my mac, and after 4 years I should NOT have to fork over another 2k for what's supposed to be the best laptop on the market!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One other idea I have...do you think that you're experiencing any sort of overheating issues?

Many of our laptops get hot...so a warm/hot laptop can be sort of normal...but there always is the possibility of a too hot laptop.

If you haven't already...try downloading & installing a program called "Temperature Monitor":

Temperature Monitor

After installing it..let your laptop "warm-up" for a while...and let us know what sort of temps you are getting.

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
2010-06-27 21:33:06 -0700

Ambient Air: 31℃
CPU A Temperature Diode: 62℃
Graphics Processor Chip 1: 58℃
Graphics Processor Heatsink 1: 60℃
Main Heatsink 1: 47℃
Main Heatsink 2: 46℃
Memory Controller: 57℃
SMART Disk ST98823AS (3PK0FHTG): 44℃

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those temps seem pretty normal.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dammit....

MacBook Pro - Appledefects

you think apple will send me a new logic board?

Getting a new logic board for a 2006 MacBook Pro at this point would seem like a long shot!

But put together as best a case as possible:

- including all your issues
- anything you can do to document things...including any info you can find on the internet regarding any well known defects relating to your MBP
- then go to your nearest Apple Store

I have heard of many awesome outcomes of folks doing this...and having a positive outcome. The worst thing that Apple can say is no.

If you plan on approaching Apple about this...please let us know how it turns out!

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.