Lost the "system preferences" application.

Reaction score
Balmy, beautiful, Southern Ontario, Canada
The system preferences window got deleted and now the settings cannot be changed and all that goes with it. Anyone have an idea how it can be restored or do i need to do a re-install? This machine is running Leopard.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you running Time Machine by any chance? If so, you can restore it from there. How did you go about deleting it?

You could try using Pacifist as outlined here or perhaps a better idea would be to reinstall the combo update (see here).

OP
Reiner2112
Reaction score
I was on my parents iMac and they had the preferences pane on the desktop. a I dragged it to trash thinking it was safe to do so. NOT! They don't use time machine. I am considering doing a fresh install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Your imprecise terminology makes me wonder what you really did. The terms "window" and "pane" have specific meanings.

I've never tried dragging an open window to the Trash, and can't try it now, but I know if you drag an Icon to the Trash, the item it represents will be gone once the Trash is emptied.

Have you looked in their HD > Applications folder to make sure System Preferences is not there? (click on Applications in the Sidebar of any Finder Window)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Your imprecise terminology makes me wonder what you really did. The terms "window" and "pane" have specific meanings.

I was thinking the same thing ......... Its a bit hard to do :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Ghz 15' MBPro, 32G iPhone3GS, 64Gb iPad 3G
You can simply copy the "Systems utilities" folder from any other mac and place it on your mac. It should work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You can simply copy the "Systems utilities" folder from any other mac and place it on your mac. It should work.

Most certainly you should NOT!

EDIT: There isn't even a "Systems utilities" folder to begin with, but never ever ever mess with the System folder. Ever. Even if you should, this wouldn't solve this problem.

OP
Reiner2112
Reaction score
Yes I know my terminology is somewhat lacking, and I know it is hard to fathom such a boneheaded move, but it happened. It was the system preferences "icon" which contained the system settings. (I don't need to explain that?)
The thread is called "system preferences app" THAT is what got deleted.
In any case, I do thank you for your assistance everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It was the system preferences "icon" which contained the system settings.
Ok then...
modifying a previous post (terminology again) should get you there:
"System Preferences" application

Or, with a program called Pacifist, which you can download, you can extract it from the installation disc that goes with that Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.