Tethering via PdaNet and THC G1 on Tmobil

Reaction score
Have Android 1.6 so have to use USB (can't use bluetooth). Have the app on the phone installed (USB debugging is turned on) and downloaded it/installed it on my macbook pro. I can turn it on the phone, but when I go to click on the icon on my mac nothing happens (should anything happen?), regardless I can not get online. Suggestions?

OP
M
Reaction score
Seriously? Nobody? You guys all have iphones or something? Ok, you don't have to trouble shoot, just tell me how you did it? What worked for you? I thought it was going to be a simple process, followed instructions and still got nothing. I need this to work since Comcast finally pulled the plug on me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
On the iPhone it goes like this...

Fire up Pdanet. Make sure the USB option is checked. On your Mac, click the icon in the the topbar. Select 'Connect' from the dropdown box that appears. Once selected, nothing appears to happen, but if you open a browser, you miraculously have Interweb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Why not just update to Froyo 2.2 it has wireless tethering ,it's great I use it with my iPad and Macbook when I'm out.

OP
M
Reaction score
Tell me more about this Froyo? I have 1.6 on my phone and 2.0 has not come out yet? and if/when it comes out i hear the g1 might not have enough memory to handle it so therefore might not get it. b/c i have 1.6 i have to use usb, i can only use bluetooth with pdanet if i had 2.0.

i did figure it all out and am using it now matter of fact before i saw you reply and did as you suggested. i also uninstalled it and re installed and restarted my mac a few times and.... magic. its working. (edited out) comcast and their $60/mo. the speed is not that much slower (hey, i can still download pron!).

thanks guys, i'd like to hear more about this froyo too....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
You can install Android 2.2. AKA Froyo if you root the G1. It's fairly simple to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not that I know of. Rooting is fairly easy.

OP
M
Reaction score
i don't even know what "rooting" is! what are the pross and cons of it??
so the G1 is never going to just get an auto update from tmobil like the cupcake to get it up to 2.0 or 2.2?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i don't even know what "rooting" is! what are the pross and cons of it??
so the G1 is never going to just get an auto update from tmobil like the cupcake to get it up to 2.0 or 2.2?

I don't know if it will ever get 2.2 update.
Rooting is just hacking the phone, If you go on Craigslist there are plenty of people who will root it for $15-$30 Once it's rooted with 2.2 the phone will have wireless tethering installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know that there really are any, It can void your warranty if that's an issue for you.
I rooted my Nexus One and I love it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.