• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple and AT&T hit with class action lawsuit over iPad unlimited data bait and switch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
That's nothing, just wait for the inevitable class-action over iPhone 4 reception issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
In all honesty, this one I disagree with holding Apple liable (unless it can be shown that they were involved in ATT's pricing scheme) - ATT controls their data plan, and unless there is compelling evidence that Apple conspired with ATT to bait and switch the available plans, Apple is technically a victim as well as they probably made the marketing and plan options based upon what ATT offered at the time of release.

I'm not sure of the dates, the article may have been a bit misleading - but it mentioned:
On June 9, 2010, a consumer who purchased an Apple iPad with 3G capability and signed up for an AT&T data plan filed a nationwide class action lawsuit against Apple and AT&T for fraud and misrepresentation.

The change in ATTs data plan took effect on June 7th - which means if the user purchased on June 9th, the change was already in place and well known which means the person seems to have been simply trying to take advantage of a change in place that the user probably would have already been aware of.

I'm not saying I agree with the change in terms - honestly, I think ATT really did a negative thing here, especially for the way iPad users were marketed to based upon ATTs offerings at the time the iPad was released and future release plans announced (since if I recall correctly, ATT changed its pricing a month after the iPad 3G was released and several months after the release date was even announced for the 3G version of the iPad).

Reaction score
Well, AT&T decision to drop the unlimited plan directly affected my decision to purchase my iPad. I had ordered a 32GB 3G unit, but since it wouldn't arrive until after June 10, I canceled that order and just purchased a wifi only model.

Reaction score
While on the surface it would appear to be an ATT issue and not Apple, the determiner would be how much Apple knew about the change to limited data, when they knew it and if they were in collusion with ATT to tout the Ipad on an Unlimited network.

NOTE: I am not saying Apple is guilty of anything, just that they could be more guilty than is known on the surface.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook5,2, iPad 16 gb, iPhone 3GS 32 gb, Iphone 4
ATT has consistently found every way possible to shaft its subscribers. With sub pare service, and failure to invest in infrastructure to support it's exclusive devices. Apple is well aware of it's practices, yet continues their exclusive agreements with ATT in favor of higher profits, over consumer concerns.

They're both guilty. Good old Steve was the only one on stage bragging about the unlimited data plan. Where is he now that ATT decides to pull the bait and switch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D, iMac G3, iMac G5, eMac, Powerbook G4, iPod Touch, iPod Nano and iPhone 3G
ATT has consistently found every way possible to shaft its subscribers.

This times ELEVENTY billion. AT and T have always sucked. I had them while still living in the United States. I had nothing but problems with my service.

I wish Apple would go with another carrier! :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Well, AT&T decision to drop the unlimited plan directly affected my decision to purchase my iPad. I had ordered a 32GB 3G unit, but since it wouldn't arrive until after June 10, I canceled that order and just purchased a wifi only model.

That's a shame. It's long been announced that AT&T would honor the old unlimited plan if the iPad had been ordered prior to the start date of the new plan. In fact. I got an email from Apple the other day reminding me that I have until July 15th (or so?) to activate my plan and lock in for the unlimited rate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
ATT has consistently found every way possible to shaft its subscribers. With sub pare service, and failure to invest in infrastructure to support it's exclusive devices. Apple is well aware of it's practices, yet continues their exclusive agreements with ATT in favor of higher profits, over consumer concerns.

They're both guilty. Good old Steve was the only one on stage bragging about the unlimited data plan. Where is he now that ATT decides to pull the bait and switch?

That's funny. Not only have I gotten stellar service with AT&T where I live, but they have recently notified numerous people around the country who use the "Mark the Spot" app that based on their input, service improvements are being rolled out to address the areas they reported on. They've also announced nearing completion of upgrades in other problem areas, NYC in particular. My own area got upgraded last year to 3G service, and they are continuing to roll it out across the country. They also just bought out extra towers that Verizon was forced to sell by the FCC as a condition of their buyout of Alltel. Unless they did so just to throw away money, I would expect them to be used to further improve service and coverage. So yeah... AT&T is investing in their infrastructure. None of it will or can happen overnight due to limited manpower (well do you really think there are legions of engineers just sitting around waiting to get to it?), regulatory issues (they can't just plant a new tower anywhere they please as they please), and much more. But happening it is.

As for dropping unlimited plans... my understanding is that they are still available for business customers who really NEED them. I'll grant that they are being a bit stingy though... 15 bucks for 200 megs is really lousy, and maybe they should offer an unlimited plan for bandwidth hogs, but make it a lot pricier. And yah, they really did drag their feet on iPhone tethering, and coupling that with a charge that adds NO extra data usage is really lame. But anywho... it's only a matter of time before Verizon follows suit. Already, Sprint and T-Mobile have a 5GB cap, at which point they severely throttle your speeds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

You could almost replace AT&T with Verizon in that sentence and it's just about as accurate. Welcome to the Bell System corporate philosophy.

Sprint isn't much better honestly.

It's obvious he hates us.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.