Remove root from login window WITHOUT disabling root?

Reaction score
I am trying to remove "Other" (which I assume is there because of root) from the login screen. I am running OS X 10.5.8 and will be updating tonight... that probably doesn't make a difference.

I have done some searching. The only solution I have been able to find is to disable root. But I use root all the time via Terminal.

Does anyone know how I can have "Other" removed from the login screen without disabling root?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You really shouldn't be logging in as root - that's what sudo is for, to allow you to access things above your normal permissions level without being logged in as root. On the rare occasion that I really need to have an extended period of access at that level I just do a sudo bash which throws me into a privileged shell. Having a root account that you can actually log into creates potential security risks as root is a well known account that if active can potentially be subject to a dictionary login attack to gain access if you have telnet or ssh daemons accessible where as individual user accounts wouldn't necessarily be known externally what their logins are nor who have sudo priviledges.

I honestly don't know if there is a way to remove the "other" option, but you could always change the login screen from the list of users to requiring a name and a password under preferences->accounts->Login Options. Then you would just have to key in your username and password, of course, the login screen isn't quite as pretty as the list of users...

OP
F
Reaction score
Yes, `sudo bash` comes in handy, I use that all the time. But there are things that require you to be root... for example, making yourself a sudoer. ;D

I just do not want to go through the process of enabling/disabling the root account every time I need to use it.

I have used Linux for over a decade now and have never had a security problem with my root account. I just make sure it is set for no remote connections to any accounts and only login to root to complete the task I need it for, then log out. OS X is very different from Linux but since OS X is now certified Unix, I decided to get a Mac. My wife hates Linux and I hate Windows so we found common ground with a Mac! I really like Macs but Linux is still my preference.

I guess it is not that big of a deal. I can live with "Other" being there. Just thought there might be an easy fix. Thanks for the input! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.