iPhone 4 with Tiger >:-(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Yesterday i got in line early to get an iPhone 4. I was over due for an upgrade and as I had a few hours spare I thought I'd go an a launch day just to see what it was like and hopefully get a new iPhone.

I did.

Hooked it up to my Laptop and BAM! no Tiger support.

I genuinely didn't know this, and it's not like I didn't read about the iphone months before. Even with O2's daily emails leading up to the launch not once did they mention it needed Leopard or above.

I have one Mac and that's it. I use it every day for my work and I'm on a tight schedule but I also need my iPhone and with all my data on it.

£132 later, hours on the phone to Apple, Hours trying to find a work around and it basically comes to: Install Snow Leopard, pay for the privilege, back every single thing I will need up from my laptop, wipe, install Snow leopard, re-install all my software and data and just pray that it works like it did before with no hiccups because if there are any problems at all, I will have to go back and re-install tiger and go through the whole thing again just so I can get on with my work.

I have complained to Apple that this just wasn't made openly public information and to be right, it should have been told to everyone before they buy a new iphone that you will need Leopard if your on a Mac. I mean, The 3G when updated to iOS 4 works fine on Tiger do it didn't even enter my thought process that the new iPhone would be a problem.

The Rub?

XP users are fine! no updating to Windows 7 for PC users! I mean really? really Apple?

This is such a lot of money and effort just to have the new Phone, which I love, even if I don't know who it is that is calling or texting me.

Even Apple support said it was a pretty bad flaw but all they would give me is a tiny gesture towards having to fork out for the "Snow Leopard Box" which they said is the only option.

I am furious.

:Angry:

If I had have heard someone in the line say it wasn't tiger compatible, I would have just left and waited until I had time and money to get a new mac.

I would have been disappointed but I wouldn't have wasted a day and a half now plus a load of money having to upgrade to an OS I don't need for anything else other than to Sync my new iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Why didn't you just return the phone?

Reaction score

If you had bought an iPad the same thing would have happened.
I know, that's what happened to me. So I went back over to
the Apple Store and bought the upgrade disk for Snow Leopard
for $30. Best thing ever. Snow Leopard is much better, faster
than Tiger.

Reaction score
A solution might be to partition your harddrive and get XP, you can partition as little as 8 gigs I believe and you wouldn't have to wipe everything... Just a suggestion. But Snow Leopard is awesome, you'll get like 7 gigs of HD space back and it's really fast, and your phone will work.

OP
melmation
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Thank you fir the replies guys. Well, I would have returned the phone but they couldn't put me back on the same tariff I was in before which was a really good deal as far as tariffs go.

I did find that I could email
Myself a v card exported from contacts on my mac and then open it on the iPhone. So at least now I know who is calling or texting. Snow leopard is on it's way so I just have to find time to do the install and test it.

I just thought it's quite a big thing for O2 to have left out of their 'important information' which they kept emailing up to it's launch. As much as SL will be better I have everything working tickety-boo at the moment on tiger and don't want to upset the apple cart on such and older machine.

Oh well.

Still have to return the phone for a swap out as the speakers on my iPhone 4 are really distorted in sound compared to my 3G. Sounds like a badly tuned radio.

Thanks again for your comments.

Mel

Reaction score
One thing i did think of though is if you wanted to sync your contacts, calendars, etc you could sign up for the mobile me trial and get them over that way. Maybe even use idisk or drop box to transfer the music. this does seem like a lot of effort though.

Reaction score
I am still working with Tiger (in 12/11) and have run out of discretionary money (the faltering economy sucked out all my retirement money) so I can't afford the upgrade to Leopard because of the extensive work and funds that entails. (All new software and a consultant to set it all up and teach me to run it on my iMac and three iBooks.

Most of my critical apps won’t run on Leopard.
I will need a consultant to save and hand-transfer all my calendar and address book (Now Software) files and find an email program for use that supports real stationery (form letters) and has the search power of my Eudora. One currently doesn't exist. (Really, nothing has ever come close to Eudora’s Stationery versatility).

So, for now, I’m stuck with Tiger and would love to have a fast iPhone that doesn't need Leopard or iTunes 10. for backup.

I want to stick with an Apple phone for all the intuitive aspect, as I am a stage-4 geezer.

Any ideas would be dearly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.