Mac Mini, Snow Leopard 10.6.4 - Can't connect to PC server via 'SMB'

Raz

Reaction score
Hi Folks.

I am new to the forums so I apologise for posting in the wrong place - should I have done.

I have been bought a new Mac Mini at work and we use a PC server which we connect to on the network to do all work from. I can connect to the Server via 'afp' but this makes all the file names disappear and any work I have done before I cannot see properly.

I am working on Snow Leopard 10.6.4. I rang apple and they said you cannot connect as an Administrator via 'smb', but that is the only account we connect by. I have tried creating another user group on the PC Server and tried connecting through that but it just keeps saying the password or username is invalid. We are really stuck with this, if someone could point me in the right direction that would be ace.

I'm not an expert with Mac's so it could be something simple. But it is driving me up the wall!

The PC Server's address on our Network is: 192.168.16.7

I try to connect by Apple + K and put that address in. It prompts me for the username which is 'Administrator' and password which is 'creo'.
This is what my colleagues use to connect and it woks fine on versions 10.5.X

I however can't connect. I've tried putting the actual computer name in to connect to instead of the local IP address which is 'HW21606-37' via 'smb' and it still doesn't work.

Can anyone help with this? I can't do any work at the minute!
I'm currently just connecting via AFP at the minute and getting by, by making really small file names but I can't properly see any previous work I have put on the server when I was connected by SMB on my old G5.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
It seems nobody knows what to do - even Apple!

Many thanks in advance.
Ryan:\

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you said this in your post, sorry. What version of Windows is on the Windows server?

OP
R

Raz

Reaction score
Don't apologise - I didn't put it in, sorry.

Windows 2003 Server - SP2

Thanks.

OP
R

Raz

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea's as to what is causing the problem?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Apple said this: I am working on Snow Leopard 10.6.4. I rang apple and they said you cannot connect as an Administrator via 'smb', but that is the only account we connect by. I have tried creating another user group on the PC Server and tried connecting through that but it just keeps saying the password or username is invalid. We are really stuck with this, if someone could point me in the right direction that would be ace.

Did they mean to add another "non administrator" account on the Mini and try connecting this way perhaps? Windows is very picky about the name of the person connecting. Is the name of the Mini the same as your previous G5?

OP
R

Raz

Reaction score
july eastwood

Hi there, thanks for your reply.

That's a very good point I will try another user account on my mac that isn't administrator, I thought they meant via PC and not my Mac as the username and password I try to connect to the PC with are users stored on the Server. I tried making a new User on the Server and tried logging in with that and still no joy.

No my Mac Mini isn't the same name as my previous G5 but that shouldn't matter should it? I can still see the PC/Server in question on my network. Sorry if I sound a bit dumb, just trying to get my head round it!

Supposedly it is a common problem from reading into this on the net, snow leopard doesn't like connecting to a PC server via SMB and have tried other methods that others have succeeded with and have failed.

OP
R

Raz

Reaction score
Anybody have anymore idea's still no luck with this.
It amazes me that even apple don't have a proper answer or solution.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have not had any experience with Win 2003 server at all. Last Windows server OS I ran for years was 2000 Server. It's been so long and back then I was running 10.3 Panther and later 10.4 Tiger. I remember some issues with network shares but I forget.

If the G5 with 10.5 works with it though, 10.6 should also. Here at the house I have many XP, Vista, Windows 7 and OSX machines all on a network together and I can access folders going both ways (OSX to Windows and Windows to OSX) without issue. I also have a G5 with 10.5.8 and a modified (by me) Intel Mac Mini C2D with 10.6.4 and can connect equally easy to any of my Windows systems. I wonder if it's something with 2003 server and 10.6 not getting along?

I will search around and see what I can find. I with I had my 2000 server set up and see how that works with 10.6.4.

I will get back to you if I find anything.

Now that I think about it, I connect to my windows systems with my user account and not using Administrator. I remember trying Administrator and the password once and it did not log in. I will check that out also.

OP
R

Raz

Reaction score
Manage to sort it.
You have to connect to the actual computer name and share folder specifically for it to connect, it doesnt like to connect to the server IP as a whole via samba.

Did the following:

smb://ComputerName/ShareFolder

Username: ComputerName\Administrator
Password: Password

And connected fine, have saved these to my list!!!
What a ball ache, Apple needs to get this issue sorted in future, its a biggy.
Hope this helps others having the same problem.

Ryan

OP
R

Raz

Reaction score
It's really slow at loading all the folder contents though for some reason?
But all the filen ames have appeared correctly so not too fussed but it wasn't that slow before?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you figured that out. I was going to try all sorts of stuff here. Now I won't have too! :D

I remember OSX when working with Windows 2k Server taking time to load the folder contents also.

Thanks for posting that. I knew I never could just log in with plain Administrator and Password but forgot the rest. Thanks for refreshing my memory and it may help someone in the future.

OP
R

Raz

Reaction score
No problem at all, hope it helps someone else out.
Bit of a pain in the a*s though.

Reaction score
Glad you figured that out. I was going to try all sorts of stuff here. Now I won't have too! :D....

Do you mind trying all sorts of stuff anyway?

I have smb and file sharing enabled. A couple days ago I woke up and couldn't connect with the computer's name, only the IP address, same with accessing the macbook from a PC.

In other words, from finder I go to "connect to server" and type

smb://Erics-PC

And am told that no such system exists (trust me, it does). If I type

smb://192.168.1.110

I can connect just fine. And like I said, on the PC typing

\\Erics-Mac

fails, but

in windows explorer works just fine. Any ideas? Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.