Can you intstall Leopard to an external hard drive?

Reaction score

I just purchased Leopard software for my iMac. I did not have enough space on my hard drive so I installed it to my external hard drive. Is this going to mess me up? Can it run on an external hard drive? I started to wonder what would happen of I disconnected the hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
As long as you don't disconnect it while you are using it, there should be no problem.
When you boot, you hold option and select which HD you want to boot from.
The question is.... you don't have enough room on your HD? I am wondering why you don't move large files to the external HD, and then either perform an archive install, or an upgrade.
Personally, I would back up your existing HD with Time Machine, upgrade the HD, and do a clean install of Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As 6string advises better if the OS is on the internal drive. Have you considered putting a larger drive in whatever machine you may be using, as you have not supplied any details?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.