Airport Extreme and Draytek Vigor 120 problem

Reaction score
Recently I decided to upgrade my whole wireless hardware. I looked all over the internet and it seemed that the AE and the vigor 120 were the best on the market, and the easiest to setup, so I decided to go with that.

However, even though it states its 'plug & play', since I bought the two there has been nothing but problems. the Vigor simply won't connect to the internet. I've tried altering settings directly from my macbook (which isn't even able to get up the Vigor modem on safari), i've tried on a pc (played around but to no avail) and finally I tried through the airport.

The modem seems to be working absolutely fine other than that it won't connect to the internet. I have checked with my service provider and there are no problems on their side; so i know it is a hardware/software problem.

the AE gets a solid green light and states all the settings are fine yet there is still no connection to the internet. (I have tried both ethernet settings and PPPoE settings)

Please help im at a complete loss. any help would be SO useful.

btw I've already checked extensively the vigor 120 setup guide and other forums:

Can't connect DrayTek Vigor 120 to Be Unlimited - The ADSL2+ User Forum

(Final note: my filter is only ADSL (not ADSL2) would that affect anything - sorry COMPLETE newb)

THANKS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. Try connecting the vigor 120 to the MB with an ethernet lead and then running Firefox and accessing the admin page and check and save settings for your ISP/Country. Then connect vigor 120 to phone line and verify you can get on line. Then connect AE to MB with same ethernet lead and run Airport Utility to verify and set up AE as needed. Then with AE connected to vigor 120 and that connected to wall jack you should be good to go.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks, but i've already tried using Firefox and I still can't get up the admin page. (However I can on my PC and I have altered all the settings on a PC but the modem still doesn't come up with any internet)

So I connected the Vigor 120 straight into my MB via ethernet, I tried to configure it using 'System Preferences' and I think it is receiving an external IP address (looks external) although it does say: 'Self-assigned IP'.

I also tried creating a PPPoE service, also to no avail.

I simply can't get internet on the modem even though all the hardware and software seem to be working. Any ideas? Guesses? Much appreciated.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If the modem won't connect to the incoming signal from your ISP and neither your ISP or vigor can resolve it - take it back.

It's not worth the headache, since it really shouldn't be this hard.

Could be the unit, it does happen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.