Firmware password doesn't work

Reaction score
I'm trying to make my Macbook prompt the user for a password every time it is restarted or turned on.

I'm running OS X 10.6.3

I set the firmware password and changed the firmware security-level to "full", but every time I turn it on it still boots normally. The other boot commands "single-user, etc..." are password protected, but the normal boot sequence isn't. Is there some special way I need to save the security-level variable or something for it to change from "command" to "full"?

Please help!
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You still need to set an account password to be prompted when the machine boots or wakes from sleep. The firmware password is a security password not an account password. By the way, don't lose or forget that firmware password. If you do, and your machine needs maintenance, it will be next to impossible to get into the system.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
I have an account password but I'm trying to make it prompt for a password before the login window loads.

Basically, my problem is that I used the nvram command in terminal to change the "security-level" variable to "full" but every time I turn on the machine it still acts like the variable is set to "command". Anyone have any experience with this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure I understand why you even need that level of security? The firmware password protects the machine from any changes to the OS. You can't even swap out the hard drive or reinstall OS X without knowing the firmware password. And if you've already set an account password, no one can log in to the system without it.

What you're asking for is something like a BIOS password that can be set for a PC. I don't know a way of doing that. Perhaps there's some third party security software that I'm not aware of.

I suggest reading the Apple KB article regarding a firmware password. Good information. LINK

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
I need the firmware password security because I have a guest user account that I don't want people accessing when my computer isn't on already. I know how to reset the password so I won't screw up my computer.

Thanks for the link, but the Apple utility only lets you set a password for the startup commands (single-user, boot from cd, etc...) not the normal startup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.