downloads while macbook pro is closed

Reaction score
I recently purchased the new macbook pro, and since it is a new computer I've had to do several software updates and other downloads. It appears that all downloads stop when I close the laptop lid, and if I leave it open the computer eventually goes to sleep anyway. I am wondering if there is a way to keep downloads going for hours, if needed, while the laptop is closed. I am new to this stuff and any and all help would be appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I recently purchased the new macbook pro, and since it is a new computer I've had to do several software updates and other downloads. It appears that all downloads stop when I close the laptop lid, and if I leave it open the computer eventually goes to sleep anyway. I am wondering if there is a way to keep downloads going for hours, if needed, while the laptop is closed. I am new to this stuff and any and all help would be appreciated.

Two suggestions:

1. To keep your laptop from going to sleep when the display (laptop lid) is open...go to:

Apple Menu > System Preferences > Energy Saver

...and adjust accordingly.

2. If you plug your laptop into an external monitor (with the laptop lid closed)...try "clamshell" mode:

Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
If you want to close the lid but keep the computer on you can use insomniax
semaja2
Do note - it can get too hot - especially if you are trying to do something with heavy compute - like video encoding.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.