AC plug in

Reaction score
This is my first time owning a laptop and i was wondering about the power adaptor. Im only using it at home right now so does that mean i should just use the AC wall plug in and not be charging it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
On a notebook AC power and battery power is not a separate function like on some electronic devices. In other words you really shouldn't use your notebook without the battery even when it's plugged in.

What you do is charge the battery at the same time as you use the power from the wall outlet. If you want to continue to use external power then keep your notebook plugged into the power outlet. If you want to use battery power then unplug it.

OP
L
Reaction score
hmm

im sorry i just got so confused when i opened my manual. Could you help me with the basics? When i want to charge my computer do i use the "60w MagSafe power adaptor" or do i put the "AC power cord" on it to charge it? What do i plug in to not use the battery at all? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay I think I now understand what you are talking about. If I remember correctly the AC power cord is used to extend the reach of your MagSafe adapter. It also has a 3 prong outlet connection for USA models if you need that.

You can use either one and it will work. The AC power cord actually connects to the MagSafe adapter to extend it. I use it sometimes when I need a longer cord.

OP
L
Reaction score
oh ok so all it is, is an extension?? So how do i use the computer without draining any battery? I am using it at home mostly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you don't want to drain any battery then keep it plugged in but you should unplug it every once in awhile to keep the battery healthy. This is what Apple says how you should use your battery: Apple - Batteries - Notebooks

As I mentioned above you shouldn't take out the battery from your notebook to use AC power only. The new unibody (silver) notebooks' batteries aren't technically user replaceable anyway so they are not that easy to get to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.