iPhoto launches automatically, How can I stop it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(Late 2009) Mac Mini 10.9.5, 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3
Ever since I purchased my Mac Mini, iPhoto launches automatically when I power up. How can I stop this? Also, iPhoto seems to think my memory card from my camera is inserted because I have to "Unmount" it before I end the program. Its more of a hassle than anything, but i like to know how to fix this.

Thanks, hope I posted this in the right area.

Chip

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open System Preferences, Accounts. Highlight your user name on the left and then select the "Login Items" tab on the right. Select iPhoto and then press the small minus button at the bottom of the dialog box. Exit from System Preferences and reboot. If that doesn't work, post back.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open System Preferences, Accounts. Highlight your user name on the left and then select the "Login Items" tab on the right. Select iPhoto and then press the small minus button at the bottom of the dialog box. Exit from System Preferences and reboot. If that doesn't work, post back.

Regards.
I did exactly what you said and "iPhoto" wasn't listed there, only and iTunes helper and something else that wasn't checked. ?????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Oddly, in Tiger I cannot stop iPhoto from opening when I insert the camera card, there is nothing in the Prefs (or not that I can find); whereas in Panther, inserting a camera card (via reader) simply mounts the card on the desktop without opening iPhoto. With Tiger, I simply wait a few seconds and then quit iPhoto. [I don't know what happens with iPhoto under Leopard or later.]

The MacOS interprets a camera card as a 'volume', and mounts it to the desktop. As is the MacOS norm, you need to eject the volume before removing the card. You can safely quit iPhoto and eject the card later if you wish.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oddly, in Tiger I cannot stop iPhoto from opening when I insert the camera card, there is nothing in the Prefs (or not that I can find); whereas in Panther, inserting a camera card (via reader) simply mounts the card on the desktop without opening iPhoto. With Tiger, I simply wait a few seconds and then quit iPhoto. [I don't know what happens with iPhoto under Leopard or later.]

The MacOS interprets a camera card as a 'volume', and mounts it to the desktop. As is the MacOS norm, you need to eject the volume before removing the card. You can safely quit iPhoto and eject the card later if you wish.
Well there is a problem, there is no card inserted anywhere... When I bought my Mac Mini the store loaded all my old data and photos for me off my old G4, which had croaked... Any ideas???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
Are there any devices connected to the computer.

In Image Capture, you cal choose what program to start up when you attach a device (camera, card reader etc) to the computer. That is where you can go to also turn that feature off.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are there any devices connected to the computer.

In Image Capture, you cal choose what program to start up when you attach a device (camera, card reader etc) to the computer. That is where you can go to also turn that feature off.
The only 2 devices connected are, one an external HD and two my kodak printer which is where I read my camera card from. Where is image capture?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
COOL !!!!! I found image capture and turned it off and it fixed it!!! AWESOME. Thanks everybody.

Chip

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.