Slow internet 10.5 TAKES THE PIE

Reaction score
Hi every1,

First of all, im very frustrated :(

heres my problem... I have had my mac for about a year now, mac mini - leopard.

on both the wireless and the ethernet the internet goes so slow, its like being back on dialup! and its been like this since i can remember.

a speed test shows that the mac pulls down between a few hundred kbs to a couple of meg per second, it actually takes between 30 seconds to a couple of minutes to load a webpage! on my windows laptop that is right nxt to the mac, the same test - actual download speed averages at 15mps.

I can actually buffer a whole episode of something on the channel 4 website on the laptop in the same time it takes to load a webpage on the mac.

i have read numerouse discussions on the net and this seems to be quite a common problem (i have actually lost count of the posts i've read). none of the discussed i have ever read fixes my problem.

so basically, the question i wanted to ask is. what is wrong with 10.5 that causes this problem, and what do i need to do to fix it? (i have already tried numerous alternative dns settings aswell)

thanks for taking the time to hear my problem every1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Nothing Leopard flies.

Helps if you tell us what machine you are using and memory etc, internet speed, and steps taken to sort out your problem and help your ISP suggests or are you pulling our whatsits?

Do you run any maintenance programs and if so what and when and have you ran Disk utility booted from your install disc over the hard drive to see4 if all is well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
(i have already tried numerous alternative dns settings aswell)
Most i have come across have a Primary and a Secondary and even a third IP address.
Where did u get the numerous alternative ones from?
Leopard was great for me when i was on it, more likely you need to sort your Mac network settings.
Are u on 10.5.8

OP
A
Reaction score

Hi,

sorry for the lack of tech info. 2 be honest there is not much i can tell u that may be of use. im on a 20mb connection and pulling 15mb, there is nothing wrong with the internet itself or the router, filters, cables etc. I can download a 700mb file in approx 10 mins on both my other laptops (none mac) and my pc. So i know its something to do with the mac.

So u kno wht kinda guy i am, i repair pc's and laptops for a living but macs is just a hobby, i dont use 'em much.

As for the specs of the mac, its a mac mini 2ghz core 2 duo, 2gb ddr3, the rest is just the standard hardware that came with this mid 2009 model (not important to this case). I know its not the hardware of the mac that is the problem. - as far as spec goes.

I have ran the disk utility and everything is good there, i have reinstalled leopard as an attempt to a fix. I dont run any 'maintenance software' but at the same time there is nothing that needs maintaining, i basically use vlc and boxee to watch things from the external hard drives, and thats about it.

As for the DNS settings, I have used opendns, tried both on the mac, and in the router. I have also tried suggestions of dns settings from various forums - i cant be to specific on this, 2 many google searches - gets blured in the end. I have tried setting a static ip as a last effort but just the same.

If it was like this on either the wireless or the ethernet and not on both then this mite be easier to solve but its exactly the same which ever I use, so my thinking is that its not specific to the network adapter its using.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

[EDIT] And yes im using 10.5.8, + all other updates available to the operating system

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go into System Preferences > Network > Advanced > DNS and see what is reported there. For maximum performance there should be a greyed out IP address, the router, and a Primary and Secondary IP addresses. If both do not appear get on to your ISP and obtain them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.