External hard drive trouble

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac OS X v.10.6
I have had my WD 160 GB external hard drive for about a year now. It has worked fine, no problems. Two days ago, I left it on my desk. Today, I picked it up, plugged it into the USB port, and now it's not recognized. It spins and makes noises, and shows up in disk utility, but still isn't recognized. When I try to initialize the disk and repair it with disk repair, it won't let me. What has happened and how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Probably an electronics failure on the drive itself. The WD drives like most others have the controller and electronics on one board which is integrated on to the drive above the mechanism. If something on that board fails, you get what you experienced.

Your drive should still be under WD warranty. (I believe it's three years on most of their externals) Give WD support a call and ask for a RMA. They may ask you to run some diagnostics first. If the drive should prove to be defective, they'll replace it with either a new or refurbished one.

Regards.

OP
kibler
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac OS X v.10.6
Thanks so much!! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.