iPod touch 4G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I am thinking about purchasing an iPod touch for PDA uses, and I was told to wait for the 4G to come out. Does anyone know when that's supposed to hit stores? Also, will there be an 8GB version? I read that Apple won't be having an 8GB version of the iPhone 4G, they'll still be selling the 3G of that model; will they be doing that for the iPod touch as well? I was also told that the iPot touch as Outlook sync support; so with my Mac, could I sync the calendar and mail applications with Entourage 2008 and Outlook 2010 (when that comes out in September)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
not sure about your question... but from i understand the 3G is not available anymore but Apple will start selling a 3G 8Gb as the "economy" model.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
not sure about your question... but from i understand the 3G is not available anymore but Apple will start selling a 3G 8Gb as the "economy" model.

Ok 3Gs then, i don't keep up with the generation terms. What exactly aren't you sure about from my original question?

Reaction score
I am pretty much in the same spot as the OP. I was thinking of picking up an 8GB Touch for use mostly as a PDA and portable time-killer. But I've decided to wait until Sept to see what Apple does with the iPod Touch, what sizes they introduce, which they keep, which they scrap, and the price points on everything.

To the OP, maybe just wait until Sept to see what they announce. Even if new stuff comes out and they discontinue the 8GB model, you might still be able to get one from the Apple refurb store, or from sellers like Amazon that still have them in stock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
i don't know when the iPod 4G will be released..

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, someone told me it was going to be in September.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Oh, someone told me it was going to be in September.

Ten people can tell you 10 different things...and all 10 of them can be wrong!:(

- Nick

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, I guess we'll see what happens, but I'll wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
iPods are refreshed every year in the Fall, around late September to early October. That's when you can expect the fourth generation iPod touch to be debuted.

Unlike the iPhone, Apple does not sell previous generation iPods side by side with the current generation (with the exception of refurbished models). Apple is currently selling iPod touches with 8GB, 32GB, and 64GB capacities. It's very likely that Apple will scrap the 8GB model and the entry level model will sport 16GB, much like the iPhone 4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" White MacBook 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram GMA X3100
iPods are refreshed every year in the Fall, around late September to early October. That's when you can expect the fourth generation iPod touch to be debuted.

Unlike the iPhone, Apple does not sell previous generation iPods side by side with the current generation (with the exception of refurbished models). Apple is currently selling iPod touches with 8GB, 32GB, and 64GB capacities. It's very likely that Apple will scrap the 8GB model and the entry level model will sport 16GB, much like the iPhone 4.

That's not entirely true. I'm not sure if this is currently the case, but at one point Apple was only selling the iPod touch 3G in 32GB and 64GB. The 8GB version was actually the 2G iPod touch.

But as to when you should expect the iPod touch 4G, I would agree with the late September time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
The 8GB version is the second generation model. Apple has been releasing new Touches in the Fall in the past so assuming they do the same this year then that's when you can expect them. We might also see Apple sliding one of the current 3rd generation model to the lowest priced like they did for the 8GB.

Although if the iPhone continues to be this popular for several months then we might see a delay in new Touches because Apple wouldn't be able to manufacture both at the same time and keep up with demands. You might be in for a long wait if that happens.

If you need a PDA now you can always get the current 3rd generation and then sell it off when the new ones come out.

Reaction score
If you need a PDA now you can always get the current 3rd generation and then sell it off when the new ones come out.

I thought about this myself. To the OP: You can actually get an 8GB refurb from the Apple Store now for $149. Not a bad price for something to tide you over until the new ones come out. For myself, I've decided to just wait it out, and put that $149 toward whatever they have to offer in the fall. But if you need it now, this could be a good way to go. I would think after the new ones come out you should be able to get at least $100 for the 8GB one, not a huge loss.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
After iPad and iPhone 4 came out, and the new generation iPod Touch....it seems that Apple have to consider the products conflict.
That issue has always been there between the Touch and iPhone. IPod Touches have always been for people who for some reason didn't want an iPhone or could not buy one. I for one am one of those people who didn't think the monthly fees for a smart phone's data plan was worth it. I got an iPod Touch instead because I needed a PDA. I may change my mind in the future but for right now it works for me.

Considering the Touch is very much like the iPhone and it has been selling really well just shows that they are two different markets so it don't think the conflict is as big as you might think.

I think the iPad is also in a different category. It's way too big for me to consider it as small and portable as a Touch/iPhone so I wouldn't want to carry it around everywhere like my Touch, but it's more portable than a laptop and has a larger more enjoyable screen than the Touch for reading so it works well in it's own niche.

The iPad is selling well and the new iPhone is selling well so I think Apple thought about possible conflicts in sells pretty well. I guess time will tell if Apple is indeed cannibalizing their sales but I think there are many Apple owners that have a Touch/iPhone, iPad, and laptop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.