• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How Can I Cut or Make Chapters?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You can always use mpegstreamclip, which will allow you to set in and out points for a conversion, so set the first region of time and export it (either to a different container and codec, or back to another AVI although I'm pretty sure you don't have XviD as an option for a codec so if your original is XviD you may want to choose a different container and codec), then set the next region of time and export that and repeat until you're at the end of the movie.

Or you can convert it to an mp4 or a mov and use iMovie to create short movies of the regions as your "chapters" then export it.

Or if you want one giant file instead of multiple smaller files, you can use Handbrake and convert the AVI into an MKV file, then use mkvmerge and make your own chapter entries.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.