Powermac g4 randomly shuts off/won't start

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4, 1GHZ, 1.5GB Ram, 320GB, 320GB, 250GB HDs, Mac OS 10.4.11
Man this post is frustrating! As this is the third time I have had to type this, I have managed to sneak onto my flat mates computer to do it, so sorry if this seems a little brief ;D

The title is pretty much the gist of things. I will be going about my daily business when all of a sudden my computer will unexpectedly shut down. Afterwards, it has struggled it boot up, requiring me to hit the power button multiple times before it actually responds.

This matter is now becoming quite urgent, as my computer now only lasts for about 10 minutes before shutting down, and it won't even start to boot anymore until about a day afterwards.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

I have tried resetting the PMU, as the symptoms listed in the following link all match up to what I have been experiencing.

Resetting Cuda/PMU on Power Mac G5, Power Mac G4, Power Macintosh G3

Examples include not turning on, not waking from sleep, or not seeing devices plugged into the USB and FireWire ports, among others.

One thing that was quite annoying is how it would repetitively improperly eject my ipod, and then mount again, and then eject it again etc. Which was quite damaging to my ipod, and I had to restore it's software at one point.
Following this would be the good old kernel panic as I attempted to use other usb ports.

Apart from the obvious decision of taking it in, is there anything else I could try? I am a broke student and really can't afford apple services right now. :\

Anyway better go before my flat mate gets off the phone,

Thanks in advance!
Elan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.