Apple gave me a new 17" MBP

Reaction score
Quite a story...

I have a 17" macbook pro that I bought in 2007. Didn't buy Apple Care and a month ago, the display was getting static (little green and red dots moving all around the screen) when the computer was stressed like running a DVD or streaming videos.

I went to the apple store and they replaced my lcd screen free of charge. Yay new screen!

I got back and found that there was this thing on the screen. I call it this thing because the genius didn't even know what it was. It was some blue hair like thing on the screen when it was on. Anyway, they replaced the screen again.

When I got home, I tried using my macbook and turns out it wouldn't even turn on at all. I take it back to the apple store and they replace the motherboard and the top case of the bottom part of the macbook. I tried turning on the macbook at the store this time to see if everything was alright and it seemed like it so I took it home. I was happy that I had a new top case, the trackpad was nice and new while my old one was smooth and eroded.

Buut I find out that the iSight didn't work. I tried all the troubleshooting steps before I brought the macbook back to the apple store and it just didn't work. Turns out the person who replaced the lcd the second time royally screwed my computer up. They messed up the mother board and didn't attach the lcd display properly!

I just expected the genius to go attach the iSight thing real quick and I'd be on my way. Turns out they offered to give me a brand spankin new mbp for my inconvenience. Sweet! I was just really happy that they repaired my macbook free of charge without Apple Care to begin with. I actually sat there and though about it for a while because my older model had some features that I preferred over the newer models like being able to change the battery yourself easily for one. I went ahead and chose the new macbook. Pretty cool of them! Now that's good customer service; I'm an apple user for life! :D I'm buying Apple Care on this one though; I've learned my lesson. Don't think I can continue to get lucky as I have in the past.

My old macbook had like 140 gb of space or something like that. This new one has 500 GB and spaces between the keys! Yay. One thing that bugs me though is this larger screen resolution. Everything's so tiny x_- I tried changing the resolution but then everything became blurry :( Anything I can do about this without having to COMMAND + every page I view?

119866237.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
Lucky you! Good to hear that they took care of you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
First off, welcome to the forum.

And OH SNAP, now that is awesome! (the replacement macbook, not all the problems you were having)
At least you were patient with them and give them the chance to attempt and fix it.

Mind telling us your area? (state at least?)

Unforgivably I do not have an answer to the blurry smaller resolution. I've always notice that to, but i keep mine at the max anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
That's quite a nice deal there! As a resolution to the um...er... resolution problem, how about this: Sell the new one on eBay or here, then get a different one.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2.4GHz, 4GB, GT 320M
I can't believe they touched the first one without Apple Care! That's crazy!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
I can't believe the touched the first one without Apple Care! That's crazy!!

Yea, i forgot to mention that as well. Normally they are pretty strict on that.

OP
I
Reaction score
First off, welcome to the forum.

And OH SNAP, now that is awesome! (the replacement macbook, not all the problems you were having)
At least you were patient with them and give them the chance to attempt and fix it.

Mind telling us your area? (state at least?)

Unforgivably I do not have an answer to the blurry smaller resolution. I've always notice that to, but i keep mine at the max anyway.

This is in California.

For the small text problem, I'm using an add on for firefox called Default Zoom Level set at 115%. Seems normal enough for me when I'm on the internet at least. I didn't know that there were macbooks that had high res and others that do not. :| Any chance there's a possibility that an OS update can fix it? Someone wrote that while I was searching the web... If it can be done with a browser add on it can't be that hard ... right?:\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
Wow. I'm amazed at Apple's level of customer service. I'm glad to hear that they were able to come up with a solution that works for you.

Reaction score
I can second Apple's commitment to their customers.

Apple replaced a MBP that I bought in 2007 and gave me a brand spanking new MBP with just under 1 month left in my Applecare plan.

The MBP that was replaced had some serious problems. Enough to for me to send them a letter of complaint. After 3 logic board replacements, my hard drive and Superdrive were failing so I asked for a new computer.

Easy enough but I live in Cambodia. A month after I sent the letter out, one of their representatives called me from Singapore and promptly laid out the groundwork for me to get a new MBP. Unfortunately , they couldn't ship it to my flat as the customs officials wanted alot more tea than Apple was willing to pay. So in the end, I had to pick it up in Bangkok.

Also, a week before I was supposed to pick up the replacement in Bangkok, my MBP had a blue line about 3 pixels wide running top to bottom on my screen. I send off a pic of the screen to the Apple rep that was helping me and they upgraded me to the next model up!

I guess this is why Apple is number 1 in customer satisfaction!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.