iBook Heat?

JRV

Reaction score
I'm using the **** out of my iBook and I notice it really heats up. Is there a risk of damaging my iBook from using it too much?

Reaction score
I'm new to macs so I can only say from my experience with a pc laptop. If it's the harddrive area heating up, the only thing your stressing is the harddrive. But if it's the entire laptop, yea you can potentially be putting it at risk.

Now I don't know about iBooks specifically, but the only thing I'm heating up is the harddrive. And only when I'm doing any gaming, the other times it stays cool.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I'd just say, if you plan on using your iBook for a long period of time, you should place it where it can breathe. e.g.: Don't leave in the on position and leave it on the bed to for it to absorb its own heat.

Reaction score
I plan on getting one of those iCurves or somethingl ike it and do some mods of my own to it to help cool it. I'll let everyone know how it goes :p

J

joeytomatoes

JRV said:
I'm using the **** out of my iBook and I notice it really heats up. Is there a risk of damaging my iBook from using it too much?

http://www.roadtools.com/ Don't wait, get one now, as you don't know how to give your iBook the TLC it needs when you are using the **** out of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
JRV said:
Almost any laptop will run hot after being on for long periods of time. It is to be expected and most laptops are designed to handle higher temps. This alone will likely not harm your computer at all. However, you would need to be a little more specific than you are simply using the (expletive deleted) out of your iBook. What exactly are you doing with it? What apps are you running? Are you giving it proper ventilation? Have you run any temperature monitors to see the actual temp you are running at?

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
i use photoshop and flash mainly. yes is gets proper ventilation. i was just wondering if the ibooks can take it. i'm basically using it like a desktop because i attached an external monitor.

Reaction score
What I do when I use mine off the desk is get a lid to a plastic box that has a dip in it between the 'feet' put that in my lap and the use the ibook. The only downside is it still burns my arm.

Are there any pads with fans in them people recommend? I was considering taking one of the ilaps and modding it with a couple slim fans and a power source. Attach the fans to the bottom and fabricate a housing for the battery so it looks decent.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.