Open at Login Question

Reaction score
Hi,
Just switched to mac and found the "open at login" option for things on the dock. I've enabled a few things but when I login, they don't appear -- "maximized" -- for lack of a better word. Instead the selected apps are "jumping" or "hovering" in the dock and I still have to click them to open them up. Is there a way to make it so when I login I have these apps open and ready to go?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you want an app to open at login and run you need to annotate it this way:

System Preferences, Accounts. Highlight your user name and select the "Login Items" tab. Click on the small + sign at the bottom and add your application in the dialog box. Reboot.

Note that some applications may not run as you would expect. In other words, do some testing first.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks, but I did that, too. Take thunderbird and safari, for example. I have them both checked off -- but when I login they are "bouncing" on the dock. The aren't opened up already so I can use the program(s). I still have to click the respective icons on the dock to "open" the programs. Granted they open instantly because it seems they've already been loaded, but they are not "ready to use".

Is this the normal behavior of that feature? I though that this feature would work in the way that fast-user switching works -- I can switch to a second account, but when I return to the original account everything is where I left it.

This is what I'm talking about. Is this possible, or is the normal behavior of the open at login merely to load the program without actually opening it?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, unfortunately that's normal behavior for those particular apps. The reason is both require internet access to function correctly. Even though you may have a broadband connection it still requires connectivity either thru Airport or ethernet. That's why you get the bouncing icons.

Regards.

Reaction score
For quite a few automated actions (which probably will not open at Login unless you do extra steps), you'll want to try out Automator.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 27" iMac 2.8GHz i7 8GB Ram | Mid 2007 15" Macbook Pro 2.4GHz 4 GB Ram | iPhone 4s | iPad 3
when you add the application to the list it opens it at login, when you check the box next to the application on the list it opens it but hides it at login. Uncheck the box if you want the app to be on the screen when you login.

OP
R
Reaction score
YES! That's it -- thank you. Thunderbird opened properly but Safari only opened in the top title bar (for lack of the correct word) -- in the place where you have the apple menu, then it says Safari, File Edit, etc. But because Tbird responds properly, I'm assuming this is how Safari handles it. But now I know that it can be done with some apps.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
when you add the application to the list it opens it at login, when you check the box next to the application on the list it opens it but hides it at login. Uncheck the box if you want the app to be on the screen when you login.

Hmm. I'm pretty sure I get the same behavior as the OP reported out of Safari 4.0.5 using OS 10.5.8

The box is not checked next to any of my login items.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.