MobileMe, worth it?

Reaction score
Why do you guys use this? Seems unnecessary if you don't mind plugging your phone in and setting up email accounts on the iPhone... What am I missing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
I have an iMac, MacBook Pro, iPhone4 and iPad and a time capsule. All of those items use MobileMe.

- All my contacts, iCal, and @me email account sync instantly.
- Cloud storage is nice but i dont use that much.
- "Back to me mac" is part of MobileMe and it's great. I use it all the time. (file and screen sharing between mac computers)
- Find my iPhone is nice if you lose your phone or it gets stolen.
- I can access my files that i've saved to my time capsule, or a hard drive attached to it.
- Gallery allows you to share photos and video with people (upload from the computer and/or your iPhone)
- Plus most of this stuff is accessible by going to a website (www.me.com).

It's definitely worth it to me. I posted up links to where you can get it for under 70 bucks. Retail is 99.00

Link to thread: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-applications-games/205905-mobileme-sale.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Plus webhosting, if you're into that, and easy uploading of websites, blogs, etc through iWeb. (they still do that, right?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Plus webhosting, if you're into that, and easy uploading of websites, blogs, etc through iWeb. (they still do that, right?)
I don't believe so. :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
That's too bad. I mean, the average person doesn't need a web page, espcially with social networking. But I know a lot of people here used that service to promote their own hobbies, small business, etc.

Once I made a small page with video and music to impress a girl. It worked! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I enjoy the added functionality MobileMe gives. I know it's essentially boxes Unix utilities with a pretty face. Still, the added utility makes everything feel better as a whole. Syncing my calendars, notes, bookmarks, etc alone is worth it to me.

Reaction score
I like the automatic sync of contacts and calendar entries because I don't actually sync my iPhone all that much. I personally don't think it's worth $99 a year, but I bought it on ebay for $30. That I can live with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like the automatic sync of contacts and calendar entries because I don't actually sync my iPhone all that much. I personally don't think it's worth $99 a year, but I bought it on ebay for $30. That I can live with.
Nice, and I thought 65 was a deal.

At 99.00, that's 8.25 a month. I toss more change into my water jug then that. LOL

Reaction score
I stalked some listing to get it that cheap! Most went up to $50 in the last few minutes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
Its worth it to me just to be able to make a quick calendar change on my ipod touch during a class and have that reflected immediately on my laptop and imac back home without having to do anything.

That's the essence of Mac right? It just works.

Now, add dropbox to the mix, and I'm over the moon. I set up dropbox so I can work on iweb sites and school papers from a simple folder on every computer I own (or through the net on any computer anywhere).

C

chas_m

Just for the record, yes they still do that. I have four such iWeb websites running on MobileMe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini, iPhone 4, iPods, Seagate 1TB HDD
If you have a family, get the family pack, split it up, and it's quite reasonable. I've had it for years and I love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
I love the effort-free synching, and I use it to post photos to share. It is a little pricey, but it works very well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Why do you guys use this? Seems unnecessary if you don't mind plugging your phone in and setting up email accounts on the iPhone... What am I missing?

There's a bit more to it than that:

1) E-mail from all accounts on all devices (Desktop, iBook and iPhone).
2) Push e-mail from MM, handy if you travel.
3) Real time calender sync across all devices.
4) Real time address book sync across all devices.
5) "Cloud" web storage accessible from anywhere / all devices.
6) Safari Bookmark sync across all devices.
7) Keychain sync between Desktop and iBook (handy if you travel).

Those are the things I use it for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
1) E-mail from all accounts on all devices (Desktop, iBook and iPhone).

Has anyone been able to send emails from other addresses through the Me server using Entourage? I can send from any address via me.com, but when I try to send from my work address via Entourage, I get an error "5.7.0 Email is not one of your registered addresses" (or something like that). Google was no help beyond finding a thousand other people with the same problem.

I'm trying out the free trial, but if I can't send my work emails through smtp.me.com, then it's pointless to pay for their IMAP service.

Reaction score
Does anything not work if I don't subscribe?

I am a novice, so forgive me if these questions sound silly.

My subscription is up soon, and I'm trying to weigh if it's worth renewing, as I just lost my job. I assume I'll lose my e-mail address (is that true?). I only have one computer, and my phone doesn't support macmail, nor will it log on to mobileme via the internet. I have an offsite backup that's $50 a year, so I haven't used idisc at all.

Will I still be able to use iphoto, itunes and ical(just on my computer)? Will it affect my internet use? Or my word/excel applications?

I had a nightmare that I didn't renew, and everything stopped working!

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Rumor has it that MobileMe will be coming free soon. I'd wait a couple months first.

Rumor was it was supposed to become free either upon the release of iOS 4 or iPhone 4. Still hasn't happened....don't hold your breath....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML
I am a novice, so forgive me if these questions sound silly.

My subscription is up soon, and I'm trying to weigh if it's worth renewing, as I just lost my job. I assume I'll lose my e-mail address (is that true?). I only have one computer, and my phone doesn't support macmail, nor will it log on to mobileme via the internet. I have an offsite backup that's $50 a year, so I haven't used idisc at all.

Will I still be able to use iphoto, itunes and ical(just on my computer)? Will it affect my internet use? Or my word/excel applications?

I had a nightmare that I didn't renew, and everything stopped working!

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!:D

If you only have one computer and no iphone I don't think I would renew. You will keep all your programs-iphoto, itunes etc. Is your email address at me.com? If so I think you will lose that. I could be wrong. Maybe someone else will have more info but I think you will be okay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
MobileMe as a service is at its best when using multiple Apple devices. At a minimum, I would have one Mac and some sort of iOS device. Anything less than that, and you are getting a lot of good web and cloud-based content, but the core feature of the service -- syncing of calendars, contacts, e-mail, and bookmarks -- is missing. I can't see paying $99/year for that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.