Qt

Reaction score
Hi
I recently uninstalled Quicktime coz sometime ago I installed some codecs which were for only trial period to pay a specific video format and after their expiry there came always a water-mark when playing videos in Quicktime; so I uninstalled QT with the understanding that I'll reinstall the regular QT and this water-mark will vanish. So, I downloaded QT 7.0 and when I ran the .dmg file it said that "Your system has already an updated version of QT installed", but in fact there isn't any; I have already uninstalled that.

Any help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Have you also trashed the QTPlayer .plist file, which is in Home > Library > Preferences? You may also need to trash the QT Plugin prefs, but don't do that right away.

It's ALWAYS a good idea to use the application's own uninstaller, or a third-party one like AppZapper or CleanApp, to get rid of unwanted stuff completely.

If the problem persists after trashing the .plist file, you may need to reinstall the the QT version you took out, and then use an uninstaller.

Reaction score
Quicktime Problems

I tried to install quicktime 7, but my mac said it couldn't because quicktime X was already install on there, I've been through and deleted every quicktime file but the installer still says quicktime X is there, only now I can't use quicktime to view any video files?

I've given my copy of snow leopard disc to a friend, if I buy another copy and reinstall snow leopard will that fix the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Did you trash the QTime files manually? If so, you're likely to have missed something. Some QT files are tucked away inside the System, hard to identify, let alone find. For example, did you toss out com.apple.quicktimeplayer.plist, also com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist? From desktop, use Cmd-F and the keyword 'quick' (w/out the ' ') and see what is found.

To delete applications and their associated files successfully, it's recommended that you use EITHER the app's own uninstaller, OR a third-party uninstaller like AppCleaner or CleanApp.

Reaction score
yeah I did delete them manually, I've just used Appcleaner to remove it though and it's still telling me quicktime X is somewhere on the mac.....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
QT X and QT 7 are both installed with a default install of Snow Leopard. QT 7 is (was) located in the Applications / Utilities folder.

Your issue trying to install it at this point is probably located somewhere in the hidden system files that indicates what has been installed so that Software Update works properly. Am not sure where that is located.

Here is Apple's instructions for installing QT7 and QT7 Pro in Snow Leopard.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3678

You'll need your SL disc to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah I did delete them manually, I've just used Appcleaner to remove it though and it's still telling me quicktime X is somewhere on the mac.....

I think the problem you've now encountered is that you've removed what AppCleaner needs to do its work, namely the application. Under older OS, there were two forks, called resource (the application) and data (supporting files). You've taken out the resource, but some of the data remains.

Manually search the Home > Library > Preferences ƒ too, to see what quicktime files may be lurking there. Then go to Mac HD > System folder > Library, you'll probably find even more QTime files there.

Be careful about manually trashing anything you don't know about, or you may end up having to reinstall OS X. QTime is an integrated part of it.

Possible Solution (assuming you have actually searched with Cmd-F): try reinstalling the previous QTime, and THEN try AppCleaner again.

OP
F
Reaction score
Did you trash the QTime files manually? If so, you're likely to have missed something. Some QT files are tucked away inside the System, hard to identify, let alone find. For example, did you toss out com.apple.quicktimeplayer.plist, also com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist? From desktop, use Cmd-F and the keyword 'quick' (w/out the ' ') and see what is found.

To delete applications and their associated files successfully, it's recommended that you use EITHER the app's own uninstaller, OR a third-party uninstaller like AppCleaner or CleanApp.

I did the Cmd-F search and found some files (I have attached the screen-captures below). Now, tell me what to do with these. Because I am facing the same problem, trying to install QT and it says that a newer version is already installed but I have already deleted that (I think manually).

QT2.jpg

QT1.jpg

QT3.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately the images appear with titles truncated, so I can't comment reliably. It's better that you select an icon, press Return to highlight just the title, and copy-paste to text. Then post again.

OP
F
Reaction score
Hi

I deleted Quicktime with an understanding that I'll be able to get rid of some codes - on 30 days trials - which were constantly staying on the screen and I'll install Quicktime again.

Now, when I download Quicktime and run the 'dmg' file, it says that updated version of QT is already installed, which is actually not the case because it's been deleted.

There may be some files related to QT in the system yet. How can I get rid of them so that system is once clear from those files and I can install QT again. Even I tried to install QT Pro, same message displayed.

Any help?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
NOTE: I have merged three duplicate threads.

It will do no good to continue asking the same question in a new thread over and over again without responding to let anyone know if you have tried the previous suggestions you have been provided.

My own personal suggestion is going to be to use Pacifist to reinstall QT X and QT7 from the Snow Leopard disc and then use the Apple article provided above to install any additional QT7 components you need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've given my copy of snow leopard disc to a friend, if I buy another copy and reinstall snow leopard will that fix the problem?

Hmm...well doing something illegal will cost you in the end, now you'll have to buy another disk to reinstall OS X.

I deleted Quicktime with an understanding that I'll be able to get rid of some codes - on 30 days trials - which were constantly staying on the screen and I'll install Quicktime again.

Wouldn't it just have been easier to delete the codecs than delete a primary system component like Quicktime?

Most like the only solution will be a full reinstall of OS X.

OP
F
Reaction score
Hmm...well doing something illegal will cost you in the end, now you'll have to buy another disk to reinstall OS X.

Wouldn't it just have been easier to delete the codecs than delete a primary system component like Quicktime?

Most like the only solution will be a full reinstall of OS X.

Ok. At the moment, I have Leopard. If I upgrade it to Snow Leopard, will this solve the issue? Have so many paid apps or programs installed on my system; will lose them If I reinstall current OS X. Or, is it possible to back up those paid apps/programs? How?

I have read at many places that SL is not that stable. People complain a lot about system crashing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. At the moment, I have Leopard. If I upgrade it to Snow Leopard, will this solve the issue? Have so many paid apps or programs installed on my system; will lose them If I reinstall current OS X. Or, is it possible to back up those paid apps/programs? How?

I have read at many places that SL is not that stable. People complain a lot about system crashing.

Upgrading or reinstalling won't necessarily make you lose data or programs, but having a backup is always a good thing to do in general.

But, I assume if you paid for the software you either have the install disks or worst case, the license keys if the software was downloaded, so worst case scenario, you could always reinstall those items.

Upgrading to Snow Leopard will leave all your data intact. Reinstalling Leopard should do so also as long as you don't choose a clean install which wipes your drive.

OP
F
Reaction score
Upgrading or reinstalling won't necessarily make you lose data or programs, but having a backup is always a good thing to do in general.

But, I assume if you paid for the software you either have the install disks or worst case, the license keys if the software was downloaded, so worst case scenario, you could always reinstall those items.

Upgrading to Snow Leopard will leave all your data intact. Reinstalling Leopard should do so also as long as you don't choose a clean install which wipes your drive.

But you didn't answer whether this will solve the issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But you didn't answer whether this will solve the issue.

Nothing is certain, but a reinstall often does the trick, especially when you try to delete system-level apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
May I emphasize that you should use Archive & Install to reinstate the OS. But backup your Mac HD first!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.