iphone 4 says "no sim"

Reaction score
So I activated it by phone, got it all synced up w/ my iphone 3G stuff, made a few test calls, everything was going great. all of a sudden "no sim" popped up where my network indicator is. now it won't work at all...on phone w/ ATT trying to get help but this sucks. thoughts?

OP
P
Reaction score
did the obvious, found a paperclip, got it out and put it back in. works. troubling that it was shaken lose so easily...what happens if this occurs when i'm not near a paperclip. anyway, they should've included a tool w/ the phone. thanks apple...

Reaction score
i wouldnt worry about it unless it happens again. may have gotten jostled a lot in shipping.

Reaction score
iPhone 4 reports "NO SIM

Had similar experience. But did not have your luck.

Activation went well. Calls successful.
About an hour later No SIM.
Powered off and on.
Found SIM then 5 minutes later No SIM.
Took out SIM tray and replaced. No SIM.
Had AT&T replace the SIM. Worked for 1 hour then No SIM.
Powered off and on. Worked for 5 minutes then No SIM
AT&T indicated that it is an Apple support issue at this point.
Will call them tomorrow.

Reaction score
No SIM

I also received my iPhone 4 yesterday, successfully activated it..., but when using it throughout the day experienced the NO SIM and call drops (if on a call at the time) numerous times. I tried reseating the SIM card multiple times.., didn't help. Every time I get the NO SIM a simple power cycle fixes it until the next occurrence. Frustrating. Would feel better knowing whether this was a software glitch or a hardware problem. Went to apple store last night but they don't have spare SIMs OR phones, so they couldn't do anything for me.

C

chas_m

IME, it's the tray that holds the SIM. Try getting them to replace that first.

Reaction score
No SIM Detected, reboot, get 3G service, wait and repeat...

Had similar experience. But did not have your luck.

Activation went well. Calls successful.
About an hour later No SIM.
Powered off and on.
Found SIM then 5 minutes later No SIM.
Took out SIM tray and replaced. No SIM.
Had AT&T replace the SIM. Worked for 1 hour then No SIM.
Powered off and on. Worked for 5 minutes then No SIM
AT&T indicated that it is an Apple support issue at this point.
Will call them tomorrow.
-----
I have not had it go into 'no SIM' without placing in pocket/walking around.. I am testing now with it laying flat, will check back hourly.. see if it goes into 'no SIM' mode.. if it does then we have firmware problem.. if not then it could be tray or sim cards I guess..

Same deal here, haven't tried apple yet.. please let me know what you find out! I thought I had narrowed it to only occuring when I placed it into a holster (which had a magnetic clip) got rid of it and was good for an hour and then I pulled it out my pocket and bang no SIM :( ... Reboots always solve it. Have you ever seen it go from signal to no SIM? or does this only seem to happen when it is locked?

Reaction score
I have had the same issue. 2 times it did it while locked, 1 time it did it while unlocked and being held in my hands. AT&T suggested I go to a store and replace the micro sim card. I did that, and will probably do a software restore to see if that's the issue.

Reaction score
No Sim Card Installed

I've experienced the No Sim Card Installed when the phone is on the desk sitting idle, when holding it in my hand dialing a number (in mid dial, before attempting to dial), when on an active call, when reviewing contacts.., a bit of everything. I have figured out a simple Airplane Mode ON then OFF resets it... I need not reboot/power cycle -- which just makes it quicker to recover, but no less frustrating. This has happened to me about 20 times in the last 24 hours. Went to AT&T store to get a new sim, but it was insane, so will try going back later. I can't imagine it's the sim card itself. I am hoping it's just a software glitch that can be fixed easily. (but i doubt that would actually come quickly!)

Reaction score
iPhone 4 - NO SIM CARD INSTALLED

I went to the AT&T store tonight and obtained a new SIM card. Replaced the SIM. Same problem has happened twice since I changed the sim card. Therefore, NOT THE SIM CARD. When I called in to both AT&T and APPLE, they tell me it's because the network is overloaded. Why, then, is this not happening to EVERY SINGLE IPHONE 4 user? I don't understand. It must be a defective phone. UGH!

Reaction score
pmoorejr
I am having the same issue as you. I went to ATT and swapped the micro sim. As soon as I came back home, it happened again. I restored my phone thinking maybe that would work as well. Same thing. No sim installed. I am going to go to the apple store tomorrow and hopefully getting a new one. I have printed this thread! along with others from various forums to show them because when I called apple they acted like they have not heard of this problem.....

Reaction score
no sim

Got the same thing. Went the ATT store and tried 3 different SIM cards total. Sometimes reinserting the tray fixes it sometimes it doesn't. Have an appointment at Apple store tomorrow. Already put a ZAGG cover on really don't want to replace the phone but I am almost positive faulty hardware.

Reaction score
Not sure if this will help anyone else, but I ended up doing a NEW Restore to my iphone 4 through itunes, then restored it through my old backup. I was getting the "no sim" error at least 10 times a day, but haven't gotten it once after I did the restore. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
No Sim issue resolved

I had same problem on 02 network with new iphone 4 . Had tried reloading software as new iphone and old iphone and reseated sim, but problem still existed. Returned phone to carphone warehouse and exchange for another new Iphone. Kept the same sim and problem now resolved. So take them back and insist on an exchange.

Reaction score
same thing

Phone was only active a few hours before started saying No SIM. First reboot fixed it. Then shortly afterward it happened again. Reboot did not fix it.

I'm not sure whether to go to AT&T or Apple.

Reaction score
iPhone 4 "NO SIM" issues

I have also had the "No Sim" show up where it usually has AT&T along with the signal bars. I have only had the phone activated since 6/25 evening. It first did it on Saturday evening, and all I did to fix it was pop the sim card out and put it back in. It worked fine for about 24 hours after that. Then tonight (6/27) it just did it again. Oddly enough, it happened just as I started to research the issue on the forum. This time I again removed the sim card, then re inserted it. It worded for about 30-45 sec then "No Sim". So I then powered it down, removed the sim, reinstalled it, then powered phone back on. It now seems to be working. This has to be a software issue. I willing to bet there will soon be a firmware/software update to fix this issue. We will see. It is VERY anoying, but if thats the only glitch, and they fix it SOON. I can live with that. Unfortunately this is sometimes the price the consumer pays when purchasing a brand new electronic device.

Reaction score
i went to the apple store. they're replacing my phone. i'm still waiting for them to call me when my phone arrives.

Reaction score
I'm glad to see that I am not the only one experiencing this problem too. My activation was a little weird, the guy that I was talking to on the phone at AT&T didn't seem to know what he was doing exactly, but my phone was activated. After a while I received this "No SIM" error that all of you have seen as well. I popped out the sim, rebooted, etc to try to fix it. It would only work for a short amount of time before I had the No SIM error once again. So I did a complete restore on my iPhone 4 and it seemed to fix it until about a day later when I got the error again.

Anyways, who do you think I should contact. Apple or AT&T? I just want to get this problem fixed, I don't want to pop out my SIM and reboot every 10 minutes.

Reaction score
No Sim Card and Could Not Activate Cellular Data Network

I have been getting two messages on my new iphone4. No Sim Card and Could Not Activate Cellular Data Network. The No SIM card message is the most frequent and happens when the phone is held perfectly still or at rest on desk. Turning airline mode on and off will reset the problem, as will power off and on. This happened five times in one hour while using YouTube over 3G connection. Went to bed one night with phone operational, but next morning it said No SIM Card and required power of/on to reset. Have removed SIM card, cleaned with soft cloth, etc, to no avail. Problem still persists. Watching this happen five times while I am holding the phone still in landscape position and again overnight while on desk indicates to me that the card is not loose or being jostled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 unibody
That used to happen to my 3G all the time. I would just take the SIM out and put it back in. Every now and again, that wouldn't work either, so I would have to reboot. I haven't had that problem yet with the 4.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.