New Macbook slowing down

Reaction score
I recently got my first Macbook 2.4GHz, 2GB, Mac OS X 10.6.4, switching from Windows and Linux.
The first week everything was ideal.

Once I started using it, though, which included two things:
Installation of XCode and Iphone SDK and Office2008
Loading photos on iPhoto.
the machine started slowing down. Starting up time more than tripled, and two-finger scrolling is not smooth anymore, but it seems to be with extra 'friction'. This behaviour appears at any application, safari, finder etc. It seems quite odd and disappointing to me, as the macbook is less than a month old. Also, this started in conjunction with iphoto becoming unresponsive several times, while trying to import photos, or while editing photos.
In particular, the scrolling worsened one day I was on a train and working on iPhoto, exporting a slideshow to mpeg. Could this have caused any permanent damage to the hard drive?

Repaired disk permissions, but no improvement noticed.
Logged on with another account and almost no improvement.

Has anybody encountered any similar problem?
Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It could be any number of issues. First thing to do is run the Apple Hardware Test.
Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

If that checks out, use Disk Utility to verify the drive and check the SMART status.

If that all checks out, then you may need to consider reinstalling OS X. The .4 update may have some unforeseen bug that you are encountering. In that case, consider a clean install and download the 10.6.3 combo update. However, this should only be a last resort.
Mac OS X v10.6.3 v1.1 Update (Combo)

If you imported a lot (and I do mean a LOT) of photos and other media, you may need to look at defragmenting the drive. I recommend trying iDefrag. They have a trial version that will give you an idea of how fragmented your drive may be, but otherwise is too limited (in the trial mode) to actually defrag anything. You can read this thread I started with more info about defragging on OS X.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...87952-defragging-os-x-discussion-example.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
A
Reaction score
lifeisabeach thank you once again for your help.

Apple Hardware Test showed everything in good shape.
Also the S.M.A.R.T. status is Verified.
Now I recall that I had an external hard drive dying out and was forced to copy an amount of miscelaneous data (datafiles, pictures, office, etc. all created in Windows) of ~70GB to macbook's desktop. Some days later I deleted these files, but didnt see any improvement in performance.
Do you think this might be the problem? Tested fragmentation with iDefrag but did not notice any problem.

Applied Mac OS X 10.6.4 Update, with no luck. Scrolling is even worse now...

It seems format is the only way. Are there any dangers with reinstalling Mac OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lifeisabeach thank you once again for your help.

Apple Hardware Test showed everything in good shape.
Also the S.M.A.R.T. status is Verified.
Now I recall that I had an external hard drive dying out and was forced to copy an amount of miscelaneous data (datafiles, pictures, office, etc. all created in Windows) of ~70GB to macbook's desktop. Some days later I deleted these files, but didnt see any improvement in performance.
Do you think this might be the problem? Tested fragmentation with iDefrag but did not notice any problem.

Applied Mac OS X 10.6.4 Update, with no luck. Scrolling is even worse now...

It seems format is the only way. Are there any dangers with reinstalling Mac OS X?

Hnmm. Yeah, I can only guess that you are facing a reformat. Naturally, keep a full backup of everything. Ideally, clone your drive using Superduper to an external, then format your internal drive and reinstall OS X. You can then migrate all your user data back as part of the install process off that clone. At this time, I'd stick to 10.6.3 v1.1 for now. If that does work flawlessly for you, then you can consider cloning it again to your backup drive and try 10.6.4. If your problems recur, just restore the backup that is known to be good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.