configuring time capsule with a lan

Reaction score
Check out the attached image. Ideally I'd like all devices that connect wired/wireless to see and be able to print to the networked printer. Most importantly though is that the two Macs have access to the printer as well as each other for screen sharing/file sharing/itunes sharing..etc. The image attached shows the current configuration and the problems between sharing resources. I'm sure there are several options here, but I'm not sure of the best one. Not being a "mac guy" the configuration has been torture for me on the two iMacs. When the computers are both set to Screen Sharing and File Sharing it gives me the VNC address to access, but the remote computer is not found when entered at the other. Frustrating indeed. Any advice/assistance would be greatly appreciated!

macproblem.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
There seems to be a lot going on here.

First - what are the blue circles? I think I read WAP inside - is that wireless access point?

Secondly - how are you doing dhcp? It isn't very often that you have 2 different subnets on the same network unless you are in an enterprise type environment.

Lastly - is there any communication that does work? can you ping the tc, and the two Macs from each other? Are you trying to use the name or the ipaddress to access the network resources?

Your setup is similar to mine - in that I have a modem, that connects to a netgear router, that router connects to the time capsule - and I have a bunch of switches, and airport expresses that go from either the netgear or the time capsule. I use the netgear as dhcp for everything - so wired or wireless the dhcp is served from the netgear.

I also have a network printer hooked to one of the switches. No matter which way My Macs are hooked in (wired or wireless) they are on the same subnet and everything is accessible. So is there a reason why you are running 2 subnets?

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, WAP is a wireless access point, setup throughout the home, as devices connected they were automatically assigned to the 192 subnet. I debated about moving the WAPs onto the 10 subnet and that is still an option, but to answer your question, there is no real reason for me to have two.

I must let you know the time that I spent with the setup was very limited, between the two macs and the TC, I wasn't given access and had to call in the owner every time I wanted to log in. Having never setup a network with a TC before or Mac, there is a lot of locking/unlocking going on through the setup, he is a security freak and it was very frustrating. So troubleshooting my way through it was not an option...and in an 8,000 squarefoot home, 50 yards from the switch and tc and back to the macs on opposite sides of the home is pretty exhausting. lol

Your last question regarding pinging the TC and other Macs, I wouldn't know the utility to use on a Mac. My job was simply to install the access points for internet access (success) and give printer access to the Macs (success). When all is said and done, he wants to be able to screen share with the other mac and share the itunes library, something he was able to do and now can not with the current setup. I told him I would do some research and attempt a solution!

It is just strange to me that the Macs can both see the printer, but can't see each other.

Not sure how helpful my answers were, sorry!

OP
T
Reaction score
any other ideas out there? maybe reconfigure to get them all on 10.0.1.xxx network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
You didn't finish answering my 3rd question - did you try to access screen sharing through ip address or the name like joes-macbook-pro.local?

My recommendation is to ditch the extra subnets - that adds complexity which it sounds like you don't need. There are reasons to run multiple subnets but it doesn't sound like you need it at all.

CMD-Space - type in terminal
It should open a terminal window where you can do
Code:
ping 192.168.1.255
ctrl-c to stop
ping 10.1.1.255
ctrl-c to stop
You should see anything that responds.

Anyway - just as a sanity check - you did go to system preferences -> sharing -> and selected both screen and file sharing yes? It sounds like you did but you know what assuming does.

OP
T
Reaction score
from one mac it said something along the lines of "to access screen sharing go to the other computer and enter vnc://192.168.1.xxx" I did that, and nothing happens. So guess that would be it not locating the other computer. I am going to disable the wireless and just work off the hardwire for those computers (since they are both desktops). Hopefully that will stop the confusion for the macs. The wireless will strictly be used for wireless devices and will not need screen sharing..etc.

Thanks for the help bud!

I will update with the results when all is said and done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.