Looking to make the switch

A

A-J

Hey guys

I’ve been reading this forum within the last week and you all seem very helpful and keen to give good advice. I just got a few questions/concerns if anyone has the time to help me out…

I am looking to replace my desktop PC with something a bit more stylish and portable. I was browsing around Dixons the other day looking at laptops when I came across the iBook and PowerBook. These things are amazing, after some research I’ve decided to go for a 12” PowerBook with a SuperDrive. So this isn’t going to be another iBook vs PowerBook thread!

I’ll be using the PowerBook as my sole machine for the net, music and work (web design, so PhotoShop, Flash etc) and would like it to last me for the next few years or so. I’m just a little worried about the size of the screen, does anyone use a 12” for work and find it ok? I have a 17” LCD, but not sure if it will work with the PowerBook, is this possible?

I’ve never used a Mac before, but looking at the demos of Tiger on the Apple website and reading the reviews and threads on the forum I think it looks awesome. So if anyone who has recently made the switch and could give me any details on how it went that would be cool.

Broadband is BT, not sure how I would get this to work, is it a simple plug in the BT modem, enter connection details and off you go? Not sure if Tiger comes with a Firewall either.

The only other thing is where is the best place to buy from? I’m guessing direct from Apple but I could be wrong (I’m in the UK if this makes any difference?). Also does Tiger come pre-installed or do you have to do it yourself.

Cheers

A-J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5
I use BT (if you mean British telecom) on my imac and it works real well....

OP
A

A-J

Ye, its British Telecom. Was it easy to set up? With XP you just use the install CD that comes with the modem. Don't think that would work with Tiger as the CD is set up for use with Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
that is the wonderfull thing with the mac.. you don't need the install disks for broadband that the pcs need. Just open up network preferences, set it to PPoE and put in your password and other information and then bam your online, or you can also set it up that way with a router and wonder wirelessly throughout your house, just make sure you put enough security on the router so your neigbors don't steel you internet ;)

In regards to if you made the right decision with the 12 inch powerbook, I currently own a 15 inch powerbook and I love it, you made the right decision going to the powerbook. Although in my dad I have used the 12 inch, and it seems really small to work with and I don't really like it, but that may be just me. You will be able to use your 17 inch lcd with your powerbook because the powerbook comes with an adapter.

The powerbook will come with tiger pre-installed you will not have to install it on your own. And yes tiger comes with a firewall, I think you will enjoy your new system, congratulations on making the switch.

OP
A

A-J

Thanks for the advice, I'm looking forward to making the switch!

I was checking out some of the dashboard widgets earlier today and the spotlight demo. Can't wait to have a go for myself!

OP
S

spong

The only real problems I've ever had was trying to integrate a Mac into a Windows AD network - there are problems which as far as I can see are simply not solvable.

For that reason I use Mac only at home, and Win only at work. Otherwise apart from the unfamiliarity of everything (it will occasionally drive you nuts in the first couple of weeks), you'll be fine.

I'd suggest you get yourself a 2 button USB mouse though. The one button mouse simply isn't as good as a 2 button mouse.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.