Mac / Windows Filesharing

Reaction score
Hello all.

I am having a serious issue.
We have a mac here in the office that shares some files on our network to 3 or 4 PCs (mostly spreadsheets). The mac is on 10.6.4 and the PCs all run XP Pro.

All of a sudden (possibly when the user did the 10.6.4 update) there are problems popping up.

At first, all shared files disappeared, so I repaired permissions on the mac, turned sharing off and then back on. All seemed to be well.
However, users could open a spreadsheet, make changes and save it,... but only once. After that they could open it, but got error when trying to save anything.

I went in and removed all shared folders from the list, then re-shared the necessary ones. I have tried this using both the Finder and system preferences method.

Now, I can see the shared folder, but can't open it at all as I get an access denied error.

I have tried created a sharing-only user and mapping to the shared folder from the PCs using those credentials, but with the same result. I have also tried this with the Mac being both joined to and not joined to the windows domain.

I can see, open, edit and save fine from the other Macs here.

And yes, the permissions are set correctly, SMB sharing is turned on Etc,...

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I just did some testing with my Mac - I have 10.6.4
I can mount xp pro shares copy files, edit and save multiple times.
From xp pro - same thing - copy files, edit and save multiple times.
I have the same logon across all machines.

I am saying I think you can rule out 10.6.4 update as the only cause as everything works as it should for me.

I don't have a domain controller local on my network but I do VPN to get domain services from my work.

Then there is this thread
[Solved] Windows 7 and Samba Issue - windows-7
Which really gets into the nitty gritty - hopefully it is something else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.