NTFS Mounter?

Reaction score
I have an external drive I'm trying to write to via my new MacBook Pro, and just downloaded NFTS Mounter (suggested in another thread) so I can do this. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to do it! I downloaded NFTS Mounter from the Apple site and followed all the installation instructions. Now when I open it from Applications, it appears as a little fox symbol at the top right of my screen, near the Blue Tooth and battery symbols. When I click this, it shows the drive I have attached, and when I click the drive's name, it either connects or disconnects from my Mac. In neither case can I edit files on the drive, though.

Can someone please help me with this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First mount your NTFS drive, then start NTFS Mounter. When the small black fox appears in your menu bar, click on it to open the drop down listing of NTFS drives. Click the NTFS drive once. The drive will momentary unmount and mount again.

Now you can use the Finder to read and write to the drive. I have two NTFS drives mounted at once. An external drive (attached) and my Windows 7 partition. However, I can only select either the external drive or the Windows 7 partition to read and write to, not both at the same time.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
I did that, and it still won't let me do anything. When I right-click on folders on my drive, none of the cut/paste options appear, and if I press Command + X to cut, it just makes the "cannot perform operation" sound.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't know what's happening on your system but it works fine here. Once that drive or partition is selected and mounted, it acts just like any other HFS or FAT-32 drive or partition.

I just experimented to make sure: I mounted my Windows 7 partition and opened win.ini (text file) and was able to copy, cut, paste, in other words, all the same actions as I could do on my OS X partition.

I can write to the drive or even move files from my OS X partition on to the Windows 7 partition. Full write access.

Regards.

Reaction score
I am having that same problem too. Installed NTFS mounter and I cant write to it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am having that same problem too. Installed NTFS mounter and I cant write to it.

As I stated in the thread above, it works for me. Many other folks are also using it successfully. Remember you have to "select" your NTFS partition after you start the mounter otherwise it will not work.

If it fails to work right for you, purchase "Paragon NTFS". It's on sale right now for $29.95.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
There is also a free option called NTFS3G. You also need MacFUSE for it to run.

Maybe a little offtopic, how is it with NTFS Mounter and 64bit support? Any feedback? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is also a free option called NTFS3G. You also need MacFUSE for it to run.

Unless they've done some more work on it, I do not recommend using NTFS 3G as it produces errors which can lead to disk corruption. Doesn't do it all the time but once is enough to mess up your Windows partition.

Maybe a little offtopic, how is it with NTFS Mounter and 64bit support? Any feedback? Thanks.

Not sure I know what you mean? Are you referring to whether it will work with a 64 bit version of Windows? If so, yes it will work. NTFS is NTFS.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
@chscag, I meant if NTFS Mounter works when booted with 64bit Mac OS kernel. That's the biggest problem for me, that Paragon and NTFS3G only work under 32bit kernel. Unless I've overslept again and Paragon has introduced 64bit kernel support lately?

as for NTFS3G producing errors, well, it is a free solution without support and any further development after all :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, OK I understand what you're asking. Honestly, I haven't tried it from the 64bit Kernel. I suppose I could test it to see if it will read my Windows 7 partition. Let me get back to you on that.

Regards.

Reaction score
This app caused endless spinning beachball for me when attempting to mount the Untitled drive from the Cat icon. Then Spotlight went into endless indexing mode. I had to do some tinkering to get things back to normal. Needless to say, I deleted this app immediately! I presume this is why it isn't "officially supported"...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This app caused endless spinning beachball for me when attempting to mount the Untitled drive from the Cat icon. Then Spotlight went into endless indexing mode. I had to do some tinkering to get things back to normal. Needless to say, I deleted this app immediately! I presume this is why it isn't "officially supported"...

Are you referring to NTFS Mounter? All NTFS mounter does is use the code built into 10.6 Snow Leopard. The same thing can be done from a Terminal window but NTFS mounter does it all for you so you will not to type the terminal commands all the time. The NTFS Write is built into 10.6.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@chscag, I meant if NTFS Mounter works when booted with 64bit Mac OS kernel.

I just tried it. Booted into the 64 bit kernel, started NTFS Mounter and was able to write a file to one of my NTFS partitions on an external drive. So the answer is yes it works both for the 32 and 64 bit kernels.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Thanks for the info :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD
I also have a problem with nfts mounter. I've followed all of the instructions but I can't put any files onto my external hard drive. I got it to work once before but don't why it's not working anymore.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you click on the NTFS Mounter Icon at the top of your menu bar, and then select your external drive by clicking on it? If you don't do that first, the NTFS drive will remain write protected.

NTFS Mounter works for me every time: For my Win 7 partition, and my two external Windows drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD
Yes, I have done that, but I can't put any files into my external harddrive.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Right click the HD > Get Info. What does it say under the permissions section?

Reaction score
Hi

I had the same problem as you for a while. I hope this helps.
If you previously had the external hard drive connected to a PC, you may have disconnected it without going to the taskbar and pressing "Remove Safely." Reconnect your external hard drive to your Windows computer and press "remove safely" on the lower right corner before disconnecting. After this, you should be able to write on the disk on Mac using NTFS mounter. I think this works because it resets the permissions on the disk (or something).

Hope that helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard
I installed the NTFS mounter and it was working fine then for some reason it wont work anymore. I go through the same process as before but this time it will dismount and mount but i still can't write. I dont know if its a problem with NTFS itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.