iPhone will not update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook OSX
Sorry if this question has already been answered, but I didn't find anything with a search.

I have a 3Gs bought last August. For the first 6-months everything worked fine, but about 4-months ago it started getting an error message when I would sync my iPhone with iTunes. It would say, "this device could not be synced because another sync client is already running," or something similar to that. My music and podcasts would sync, but my calendar and contacts wouldn't.

Then, when the last update came out, the one before OS4, I downloaded it and tried to install it. It would go all the way through the install process then at the very end it would show an error message and shutdown iTunes. I tried it mulitple times with the same result.

I have called Apple and they haven't been able to help me. It's a bit difficult because I live in Japan and have to call them via Skype. They want to stay on the line with me but we have to disconnect every time they want me to restart my computer. Anyway, I've tried repairing the disk utilities, playing with the settings in iTunes, and even deleting and reinstaling iTunes. Nothing has worked.

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem? I thought about restoring the iPhone to the factory settings, but I think that will erase my calendar and contacts (over 150) and since the phone won't sync with either of those I won't be able to get them back easily. I would really rather not lose them. It should be noted that this problem started after my girlfriend plugged her iPhone into my computer to charge it. Apple is sure that's where the problem started, but there has to be a way to fix it. Right? Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM; MBP 15" 2.53 GHz
It sounds like restoring is the right option, although if it is your computer having the issue it might not help. I'd suggest getting a free trial Mobile Me account here and trying to sync your contact and calendar data there first. If it works, and you can check it from the mobileme.com website to see if it is there, then you could proceed with a restore of your phone.

How is life in Kumamoto these days? I last visited there in the spring of 2006 and loved the place. I spent a lot of time hanging out in the Sligo Inn Irish Pub when I wasn't working, but think that place must have closed since their website is no longer up :( . Aahhh...fun times!

OP
psychohistoric
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook OSX
Thanks, MacTrooper. I'll give that a shot.

Kumamoto's pretty much the same probably, though Sligo has moved. It's in Ozu now (due East of the City), but still kicking. Rainy season has set in and we're all in perpetual sweat mode now. Other than that (and the phone problems) I can't complain.

OP
psychohistoric
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook OSX
Geez, this is the problem that won't die. I signed up for Mobile Me as recommended, but apparently my Mac is too old and the Tiger OSX isn't supported. I decided to go ahead with the restore anyway (spent an hour hand-writing all my important contacts' information) and then was given an error message saying my device was "not eligible for this build," I don't remember the exact wording. I tried several times but was unable to restore the phone. I went ahead bought a calling card so I could bypass Skype to trouble shoot this problem with Apple folks in the U.S. and was told there was nothing they could do. They said the phone wasn't the same because it was Japanese. Whatever. I'm apparently left with two options, two hour train ride (one way) to the nearest Mac Store with no guarantee they'll no anything about what's going on, or beating the iPhone into shards with a hammer. This is annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM; MBP 15" 2.53 GHz
Bummer on the Moblile Me, although your phone should be able to sync with Mobile Me right over the data network (although as you say, I guess Mobile Me can't sync from there to your computer) so that you could archive your data direct to the net, and then pull it down after restoring.

Are you trying to restore to the new iOS4? If so, perhaps you can find your older OS version on the 'net. If you download the OS 3.1.X (or whatever) from somewhere else on the net, you could then direct itunes to that file when you go to restore (by holding down the shift key when you click on the restore button, which will bring up a dialog box to select the file you want to restore from ). This is the method that jailbreakers often use to restore their phones when they can't move to a new build.

I hope you figure something out. I know it's aggravating when stuff doesn't work right.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.