Votes: 5 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 0.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chas_m

I use Safari and keep Firefox around for any troubleshooting, which happens increasingly rarely these days. Firefox is nice, but I'm rather tired of it being updated every week or so it seems, and I can never detect any new features that actually do anything to improve the (admittedly fine) experience. Indeed, every few updates seem to serve little purpose other than to break the plug-ins, which must then also be updated if available. This doesn't seem to happen to Safari, or if it ever has its been a long time now since it did.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I use Safari and keep Firefox around for any troubleshooting, which happens increasingly rarely these days. Firefox is nice, but I'm rather tired of it being updated every week or so it seems, and I can never detect any new features that actually do anything to improve the (admittedly fine) experience. Indeed, every few updates seem to serve little purpose other than to break the plug-ins, which must then also be updated if available. This doesn't seem to happen to Safari, or if it ever has its been a long time now since it did.

That gets to me also. Updates and sometimes 2 a week in a few cases! :D

Also, On both my Macs and on Windows 7 and now 10 FF is taking 50-70% CPU with each core of the CPU rendering You Tube which I have set for HTML5! That bugs me as Safari doing the same videos is 15% or around.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Firefox is nice, but I'm rather tired of it being updated every week or so it seems, and I can never detect any new features that actually do anything to improve the (admittedly fine) experience.
That's designed purposefully to add in new standards and plug security holes (most of which you'll never see). In this regard, it's not meant to be "flashy" - it's meant to fix things. Even so, I'm willing to bet that Firefox, over the course of a year (oh yes, Safari and IE have release cycles of nearly a year!), introduces more new features.

Indeed, every few updates seem to serve little purpose other than to break the plug-ins, which must then also be updated if available. This doesn't seem to happen to Safari, or if it ever has its been a long time now since it did.
You're using some terrible plugins if I were to guess since I've never had that happen to me. Which ones are you using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
a1211 macbook pro 3gb ram 500gb hd osx 10.7.5
trying to figure out what browser i want to use, I use safari on both of my mac's now…. but since it appears that the latest version of safari for lion is safari 6.1.6, I soon will have to find an alternative browser for my late 2006-early 2007 macbook pro or get the installer for mountain lion or mavericks and use macpostfactor to force update it. plan on using safari on my 2010 mini since it is running yosemite and will probably be able to run the next few os upgrades.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That's one of the issues with Safari - it's now tied to releases of OS X (that and the fact that the release cycle is so slow makes for a frustrating security condition). Take a look at Firefox or Chrome - you might like those and they have a wider range of supported devices and OSes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
a1211 macbook pro 3gb ram 500gb hd osx 10.7.5
I have used firefox on windows…. when i actually used a windows computer for more than just weather radar since internet explorer sucked so badly and it wasn't bad. never was a fan of chrome since it seems to want to track everything you do on it, not that i am doing anything that matters but it seemed to get really slow after a while at least on my android phone.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Thanks vansmith, I did think that was an amusing term and i knew exactly what you were referring to. An image of some nutter conspiracy theorist with a tinfoil hat talking about alien mind scanners immediately came to mind. I hope I'm not that bad.
I do have firefox but as already mentioned it seems to want to update every time I start it up. Still whichever browser you choose it's good to try new products from time to time. It's easy to get locked in to one product and I try to resist that, after all you can have as many browsers as you like. I remember the old Opera, I tried it years ago and hated it but now it seems markedly different, can rum most popular addons and looks much better with built in themes and a feature called "Opera Turbo" which is supposed to speed up page loading and although it has little noticeable effect on my MBP certainly seems to work on my iPhone. They also predict password syncing soon between iOS and OSX versions, I'd love that.:Cool:

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Just in further support of Opera Mini I found this article on the Turbo feature which they seem to have had for sometime, certainly works well on iPhone where high def is not really that important to me;
Opera Turbo shrinks the pages you visit on an Opera browser to a fraction of their original size. This optional browser setting provides a data-savings solution tailored for your browsing session. You get the rich-media web experience you expect, eat up less data and load pages faster when you browse.

If you're on a mobile phone with a limited data plan, you can extend your browsing time without worrying about going over your limit. If you're traveling outside your coverage area, you can conserve how much roaming data you consume. Or, if you're browsing on your laptop at a crowded café, you can speed up your connection.
Opera does this by compressing a lot of the graphic info on their servers before sending it you your device. I think this is a unique feature?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina 13" 2.6 i5 8 gb 500 ssd
Safari for S K Y go ( In the UK ) as S K Y blocked Chrome from casting to my TV otherwise Chrome all the other times. Chrome works on multi devices, bookmarks and cookies transfer without user input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina 13" 2.6 i5 8 gb 500 ssd
Safari for S K Y go ( In the UK ) as S K Y blocked Chrome from casting to my TV otherwise Chrome all the other times. Chrome works on multi devices, bookmarks and cookies transfer without user input.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently I am using the latest beta build of Opera and I have to say I love it but it does take a little getting used to. Have had no trouble loading any steps but recently had a problem with the right click context menu not displaying spelling suggestions. In the end had to reload it, now works fine. It is a beta after all. I am also testing the beta version of Opera Mini via Test Flight on my iPhone 5s and I love it. Now if I could only make it my default mobile browser.
Incidentally while mucking around with the Opera problem I found yet another browser called Vivaldi. If you like a very customisable browser that is a little like a cross between Safari and Opera you might just love this. You can create custom keyboard commands for any function . It has more options for the interface than I have ever seen including a slide bar to increase the size of the content on any page. Very handy for us sight challenged old folks. So far I have found no functional problems loading any sites and it even has a speaker icon on any tab which is playing sound allowing you to quickly locate that annoying auto play clip. So far I'm impressed but it is still in development. I hope they don't go too far.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On my newer Macs I use Safari 99% of the time. I have Firefox and Chrome installed just in case.

On my older Macs mostly Firefox and sometimes Chrome but Safari on You Tube as the others take a bit more cpu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008) (8gig RAM) (500meg HDD)
I'm currently only using Safari .. but I do have Chrome Installed as a secondary backup browser..

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's very nice to see schweb lives on in these forums. He certainly left a large legacy to us Mac users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 13" & iPhone 6s
I started using Firefox many years ago when I got my first tower computer. It's worked on all of my MS laptops, all of my Android devices & now, it works on my Macbook & iPhone 6s. I like it because it has a nice little add-on, that is designed for laptops, that makes Facebook behave! I laud the developer of this add-on because he is able to keep up with the Facebook changes to it's software. Firefox made some policy changes & that's caused problems with the add-on. You can still get the add-on on in the latest updates but you have to go to the add-on's website page to keep it running. The developer had to stop supporting Chrome because of some programming changes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M2 16GB Memory Apple M2 Chip, Somona
How can u use Chrome, Firefox or Opera when it says its for iPhone and iPad at App Store or iTune??

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How can u use Chrome, Firefox or Opera when it says its for iPhone and iPad at App Store or iTune??

Those are the IOS versions. Go to Mozilla, Google or Opera sites to get the OSX versions. I prefer Safari but keep the others around just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.