iOS4 - Can I go Back?

Reaction score
Hi All,

This may seem like an odd one, but I've downloaded iOS4 for my iPhone 3G and don't really like it. Folders is good but all the other stuff doesn't work (Multitasking which I knew wouldn't) and my phone seems slower??

Anyway, moaning aside, can I go back to iPhone software 3.0?

Thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Don't think so,

Error 1015:
This error is caused by attempts to downgrade the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch's software. This can occur when you attempt to restore using an older .ipsw file. Downgrading to a previous version is not supported. To resolve this issue, attempt to restore with the latest iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch software available from Apple.
Update and restore alert messages on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

OP
B
Reaction score
Looks like I'm stuck with it then. I'll probably get used to it and not notice in the end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
Firmware is also changed which relates to your carrier settings when you upgrade to iOS4. Unfortunately you cannot downgrade. It is possible to force you iPhone to take the iOS3 software but because carrier settings cannot be downgraded you will have connection problems.

So the answer is no.

But just so your aware, multitasking will only work with apps that support it. All apps with look like there running in the background but will not be until they are updated. Apple has a massive backlog, I know many developers who have had apps waiting for approval for weeks now.

So give it time for all apps to become OS4 compatible and you will have a much better experience :)

Reaction score
I downloaded it on my 3G as well and man I wish I hadn't. My phone seems so much slower and my battery seems to be used up faster. Can this be, or is it in my head?

I believe the multitasking is going to be just for the 3GS and not the 3G. I really do not see any great improvement in the update. New email folders, a new calculator icon, but that's about it. Definitely not worth the sluggishness....

OP
B
Reaction score
Agree with Texican.

But looks like We're stuck with it. I'll just have to buy an iPhone4. Maybe this is some clever tactic by Apple.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am not seeing any sluggishness on my iPhone 3G. When it was installing and doing the backup and the restore of the apps, it took forever but once it was all done and I used it for bit, it came alive and is very fast. Can't say faster than iOS3 but not slower either.

There is no Multitasking on the 3G. The CPU is way too slow for that. Apple warned it would only be on the 3GS and 4.

Don't forget folders also and many other improvements that are on the 3G.

I have read others with the 3G who said when they first started using it right after the update, it was a bit slow but came out of it after a bit. Mine was that way. I think it was converting a few things in the background to a new format because now it's quite fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even though some of the main 'user' features are not on the 3G most of the 'developer' ones are which will get 'better' apps. It's all just a waiting game :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Agree with Texican.

But looks like We're stuck with it. I'll just have to buy an iPhone4. Maybe this is some clever tactic by Apple.

I think this is the answer.

If they had not allowed iOS4 to be installed on 3G phones then users might have decided their phones were working fine and the new stuff isn't available for them anyway so stick with the 3G.

However, if they let us update to iOS4 and the phones are stuffed, with no way back, what do you do? Buy an HTC Desire or buy an iPhone4?

Either, way my 3G still takes ages to open an app, especially Settings. I wish I had not updated :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
People who are having problems, try a restore.

Many people had this problem during the betas and the solution was to restore the phone rather than upgrade (which is what apple recommends anyway). Just give it ago and see if it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13-inch, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7 Processor
I have iOS 4 running on my iPhone 3G as well, and I only had sluggishness for about 20 minutes after installing it. After that, I actually saw a major speed boost and while it still has it's moments, my iPhone even seems FASTER than prior to the iOS update. With that being said- there is many factors to consider when it comes to the speed of your phone. I have made the sacrifice of not putting most of my iTunes music library and videos on my iPhone so that I have plenty of space for apps. And just for the record, how much space you have left on your iPhone's hard drive DOES impact speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know if I agree with that. The way the iPhone works you should be able to fill it and not see a speed decrease. This happens on PC's and macs as they use SWAP space, (when ram is full the computer uses the hard drive as ram). The iPhone has flash memory not a hard drive and as your may or may not know there is a limited amount of times you can write to flash memory, due to this apple have disabled swap space on iPhones; once the ram is full something will be removed to store the new data. There no saving to memory so, as far as that is concerned filling your iPhone wont effect speed.

It may be slow however if files are fragmented, but as iTunes stores things logically this will only happen if you have slowly filled your iPhone over time, if you do a restore and let iTunes fill your iPhone from it being empty in one go it will be fine.

Make sense?

Reaction score
You could find a firmware downgrade and when you have the .ISPW file you hold Option + Restore or Alt + Restore at the same time. Then you just choose the .ISPW file. I'm not sure if it's possible to downgrade but it's worth a try if you don't like iOS4.0.

Reaction score
same here, I wish i had not upgraded to iOS4, battery life problems and phone is sluggish. call quality has decreased a little bit as well

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I wonder why I have not having any of the above issues with my iPhone 3G and iOS4? Call quality is as good as it ever was, the phone after maybe 10 minutes after the upgrade to OS4 is as fast and smooth as it ever was. Battery life seems the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could find a firmware downgrade and when you have the .ISPW file you hold Option + Restore or Alt + Restore at the same time. Then you just choose the .ISPW file. I'm not sure if it's possible to downgrade but it's worth a try if you don't like iOS4.0.

Cell and carrier settings are not changed when you do this. You will be using iOS4 carrier settings with iOS3 and it will be even more unstable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
For those of you with sluggish 3G phones check this out.

Speed Up iPhone 3G + iOS4 with a Hard Reset? | Cult of Mac

Just tried this. Sadly it has not made any difference. Apps, Mail and Settings are all still very slow to load, plus email messages. Still not as fast as on iOS3.

I still feel 3G owners got a bum deal here - it would have been better for Apple to have said that 3G could not update. Of course, that would not have sold as many iPhone4 as we would have been left with a working iPhone3G.

C

chas_m

All those who complain of sluggish behaviour, poor battery life etc:

DO A RESET AND RESTORE.

That should fix the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.