Firewire connection Mac doesn't mount on desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 867 MHz 1 GB SDRAM Leopard OS X
I bought a PowerPC G4 Quicksilver to hold me over until I can afford a new iMac. I need to use Migration Assistant to transfer the files from the old G4 to the Quicksilver.

I found instructions here on how to do it but the Quicksilver will not mount on the desktop of the old G4. I used a 6 pin firewire cable, held down the "T" key and turned on the Quicksilver. It didn't mount.

Don't laugh but then I tried using the lower case "t". Then unhooked everything from the hold G4 and turned on the Quicksilver. Both computers mount and work separately but neither will mount on the other's desktop.

I am getting desparate because obviously the PowerPC G4 is on its last legs, making clicking noises, the mouse sticking, not being able to use my tablet at all, etc.

Model Name: Power Mac G4
Model Identifier: PowerMac3,5
Processor Name: PowerPC G4 (2.1)
Processor Speed: 867 MHz
Number Of CPUs: 1
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per CPU): 2 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.2.5f1

Can anyone help me?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What Mac is the old G4 and what OS is on it?

I hope the Firewire port on the older Mac is not messed up. Are you sure the Firewire cable is good?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Have you tried to start the old G4 holding down the T without being connected? This should give you a window mentioning being in Target mode. THEN connect the old G4 to the Quicksilver and start the Quicksilver, the G4 should then show up as an external on the desktop.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, Chill, for the option. I will try that!

I just bought the cable two days ago but don't know if it is good. But I am immediately going to try Chill's suggestion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
If firewire continues not to work, try networking the two computers via an ethernet hub (switch) and transfer material that way.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I hope the Firewire port on the older Mac is not messed up. Are you sure the Firewire cable is good?

I am pretty sure it is after trying all the suggestions here. I even tried downloading Firewire 2.3.3 and it wouldn't load. It said Classic was no long supported.

I think my hard drive is too damaged to use the Firewire transfer anyway. I tried to download some updates and one of them said there was damage and couldn't be installed.

So, what other alternatives do I have? I backed up the system twice on two externals earlier but don't know what to do with them. Is it possible to burn a backup to a cd or dvd and then install them on the Quicksilver?

One more question, if the newer G4 is incredibly loud and gets louder as it runs, should I be concerned? The old G4 is fairly quiet compared to it.

Thank you all so very much.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

The old G4 is the one I show the specs for in my first post. Both of them run Leopard. The Quicksilver is the new G4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Here are other ideas though dangerous.

1) Install a firewire PCI card into the old machine replacing the old Firewire port and give the Target idea another go around. (easiest)

2) Another option is to install the old machine HD into a Firewire external case. You can then select which drive to start from as the Firewire drive is a bootable external. If it boots then Clone (using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper) the startup drive (external) to the HD in the main machine (new computer). (Easy also)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.