iTunes won't let me transfer iPhone apps to it, why ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
First the specs:

iPhone 3g.
Firmware 3.0

Reason being, I had to jailbreak it in order to unlock it for overseas use. That out of the way, I am trying to backup my iPhone apps to iTunes and it is telling me that there's a problem trying to transfer iTunes bought (which none of them are, they're all free downloads) apps to it because it's not authorized. It then tells me to go to > Store> Authorize computer.

I had already done that and if I try to do it again, I get a message saying that the computer is already authorized. It's an endless circle and I can't find a way around it. Is this because Apple wants me to update to the latest firmware and won't play nicely until I do ?

If that's the case, and I do update the firmware, I'm guessing that I'll lose my unlock, but not sure.

Opinions ? Thoughts ? Help ? On a side note, I somehow lost my wifi a couple of days ago somehow. Out of the blue *not having done anything* the wifi is just grayed out and not available no matter how many times I restart or take the sim out and back in etc.. Any thoughts on that ?

Thanks,

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I would recommend reinstalling the legit firmware and seeing if that corrects the problem. I'm exactly sure whether the unlock disappears so someone else would have to comment on that.

have you tried calling AT&T about unlocking for overseas use? I know they do it for other handsets, but I have no clue if they do it for the iPhone.

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I would recommend reinstalling the legit firmware and seeing if that corrects the problem. I'm exactly sure whether the unlock disappears so someone else would have to comment on that.

have you tried calling AT&T about unlocking for overseas use? I know they do it for other handsets, but I have no clue if they do it for the iPhone.

It was my understanding that only the iPhone was left out of the loop in terms of being able to get an official unlock from ATT. With my previous phones, it was never a problem, just the iPhone, hence the need to Jailbreak.

And unless I'm able to Jailbreak again, after going back to legit firmware, I just can't risk it. Sure, I'll be back in the States in less than 2 months, but when I travel overseas again, the 3g will come in handy for said task. I suppose this isn't the best place to ask such a question though, if this type of conversation is off limits per the other *taboo* thread.

Thanks though, for your input.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.