btw

is AMD x86

Thanx

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't believe that you will be able to build a Apple computer like you can a wintel box. I think you are going to see the same type of products from Apple, but they will be using an Intel processor.

OP
M

mh10190

but what can stop me for making a box using the same type of proceor as apple uses
then installing mac on it
it doesnt seem impossible
like if there were powerPC g5s proccesors out there to buy with matching motherboards
what can stop you from building you own mac
but the thing is that IBM doesnt sell after market chips
intel does
what do you think

Reaction score
I have a feeling Apple will have some sort of special BIOS to keep OS X on Apple hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Jobs said that they will make it so you can't just install OS X on any computer, it has to be an Apple brand

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What ever Apple is doing to now to advoid the creation of clones, is most likely what they are going to do. When they switch to the Intel processor. just because Intel says they will not create a special chip for Apple, does not mean that they wouldn't.

There also maybe a special part that is needed to run OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PowerBook 1.5ghz
I hope they stand firm on this and prevent these "home-made" machines. We have had so many headaches in our broadcasting department at the school where I work because IT is always trying to "build" a box to run our video and other production software instead of letting us buy what the stuff was designed to run on.

At least with Macs, where we have managed to get them, they can't mess with us like that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.