internal+external speakers

F

Fallooza

on my imac G5 i want to hook up external speakers, but still have the internal speakers play at the same time. anyone know how ta do this, or got a link? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I don't think thats possible.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Like macman said, don't think it is possible without altering the hardware. Which will void the waranttee. If you plug some thing in the external speaker/headphone jack the internal speakers automatically mute. If you use an USB solution, then you will switch over to the USB port in software. Which will also disable the internal speakers.

OP
B

Badger

Sound Source, http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/, will allow you to route sounds to specific outputs including internal and external speakers. For example you can run the system sounds to the internal speakers at low volume while iTunes runs through the externals. It's a partial solution to the way the hardware normally works.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I'll have to look into that. Thanks, Badger.

OP
F

Fallooza

thanks i got the download. ill have ta play with it later ta see if it will work. ill let u know if it works for me. but in trying ta run the same sound though both internal and external. dont think this will do it

OP
B

Badger

You're right it won't. As stated by rman and Macman this is a hardware problem. Normally the internal speakers are disabled when external speakers or headphones are connected. SoundSource will enable both outputs but not with the same sound.

OP
F

Fallooza

thanks i will give up. it sucks that my 2nd moniter has speakers but i wont be able ta use them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.