Deleted Quicktime 7 - Can't Reinstall??

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I tried installing the MPEG-2 codec for my Quicktime Player for my mac, but it still didn't allow me to watch videos. I [foolishly] thought maybe if I reinstalled Quicktime I would have better luck. So I deleted Quicktime. Unfortunately when I try to reinstall it, the only thing I get is the Quicktime options in my System Preferences. There is no launchable application, and when I try to open Quicktime movies (.mov) files, it defaults to the "Grapher" application. I know where to change my default application preferences, but I cannot find Quicktime as an application anywhere. I am able to export from iMovie using Quicktime though. I've searched using spotlight, and cannot find any applications. So very confused!!!

System Info:
iMac w/ OS X 10.5.8 <-- OS where I'm having troubles
All software up-to-date
Also running Windows XP w/ bootcamp
Quicktime version WAS 7.6.6

Have also tried removing using "AppCleaner" before reinstall.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Logan

PS if you have any insight on why the MPEG-2 plug-in wouldn't work I'd love to know what's up with that as well!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The QuickTime Player 7 application may have installed itself in your Applications, Utilities folder. That's the default installation location for Snow Leopard but I'm not sure about Leopard. Look there to make sure.

Here's the LINK to download it from Apple in case you'd like to try to do a reinstall.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.