Hardware test

Reaction score
After some problems with my mini (the stupid beach ball thing keeps appearing) I upgraded the ram slightly and got the updates, repaired permissions etc...done all from the advice received here and else where...

My last option - reinstall a fresh SL...no this is not a software question or atleast I don't think so.

my question:

Before I do the install, I wanted to do the hardware test and according to my 2nd disk readme note I should restart (with the 2nd disk in the drive) with the "D" pressed and hold until the hardware test starts...

Only problem is nothing happens. I've tried various ways; restart, new startup etc but nothing ever happens.
Do someone know why my hardware test will not happen? Maybe the mini wants to hide a problem from me, the evil thing.;D

I'm sure it's probably something I do wrong but what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Try doing it with Disk 1 and holding the D - let us know the result

OP
C
Reaction score
tried the disk 1 and no joy...BUT...

In a moment of frustration I pop'd in the disk 2 and started to seriously hammer on the "D" while restarting (think my keyboard is not going to last that long now) and suddenly it happened.
After testing it again, I found that the test only initiates when I start to press "D" at the moment the startup sound can be heard...anything earlier and it doesn't happen...

Thanks Collin,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well you do have to wait until the chime sounds and you may well have a failing hard drive. Pop in your SL install disc, reboot and hold down 'C' immediately after the chime and run Repair Disk and see what is reported for starters.

OP
C
Reaction score
Well you do have to wait until the chime sounds and you may well have a failing hard drive. Pop in your SL install disc, reboot and hold down 'C' immediately after the chime and run Repair Disk and see what is reported for starters.
the hardware test didn't mention any problems? Would a failing harddrive be difficult to test...I've been toying with the idea of upgrading the harddrive to 320gb 7200rpm...but if the drive is failing this should be covered by apple, right? My mini is still less than a year old.

I suppose now is the right time to go fetch that SL disk I was meaning to buy a while back...I didn't get the disk when the store upgraded my OS.

hopefully I'll be a few steps closer to finding any hardware problems...software issues is a easy fix.

Thanks for the advice, I'll post an update a bit later

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh you do need the software OS disc as it is the best trouble shooter about!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.