Dual monitor and mirroring peculiarity

Reaction score
I have an Imac running 10.5.8. Screen res is at 1680x1050. I also have an Apple Cinema HD screen connected to the iMac, running at 1920x1200.

The iMac is set to be the main screen, and always has the menu bar. Mirroring is normally off, but when I need to show something to someone on the other screen, setting mirroring on works perfectly.

Problem is when I switch off mirroring, all the windows for the various apps I have open all stay on the secondary HD screen instead of returning to the iMac.

How can I resolve this? Alternatively, is there a short cut I can use to bring all windows back to the iMac and force future windows to open on that instead of the secondary?

I am running Mac OS X (10.5.8). Any help gratefully received!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. When the windows remain on the secondary screen where is the Menubar in Sys Prefs/Displays - On the iMac or secondary screen?

Click for full size

OP
V
Reaction score
Hiya

The menu bar stays on the primary screen (the iMac), and is on the same setting in the prefs. The windows seem to stay stuck to the seconadry screen (with no menubar)

Hence the problem!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seems unusual - if i go to Mirroring on mine, then turn mirroring off, all the windows are on the Primary iMac. Altho i am on 10.6.4, Leopard should not be that different. U might have to start looking for a corrupt plist in your preferences folder.
How about trying a new Admin User to see if u get the same result there?
Could you have a plugin that is part of the issue?

OP
V
Reaction score
How would I go about determining if a plist file is corrupt?

I've just run a disk repair, so will see if that makes a difference and report back.... If no change will try a new user account

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do the new user first - it may take a while for me to find an applicable plist file.

OP
V
Reaction score
New user - same problem

repair disk - same problem. The only windows which don't stay on the secondary screen are the finder windows :(

Any other suggestions?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What screen were those windows on before you changed to mirrored mode?

OP
V
Reaction score
They were all on the primary screen. I had dragged my parallels/windows window to the secondary screen, but browser, email, ichat, iwork etc were all on primary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try moving this to desk top and restarting;
System Preferences/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver.00xxxxxxxxxx.plist
From what i could see that is changed with Display being changed to Mirror and back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.